Author Topic: Martin COLLINS s/ Martin & Mary/ Margaret MCCARTHY b 1853 Kilcommon Templebeg Ti  (Read 8914 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where should I start looking for Martin Collins, possibly s/ Martin Collins & Mary/ Margaret McCarthy b 1853 Kilcommon, Templebeg, Tipperary (see World Connect Project, mattfamilytree database)?
It seems, from searching in Queensland (Qld) Australia historical indexes online, that he is the second husband of my g - grandmother's sister. His wife, m 1881 in Qld, was Eliza Tedford, and her first husband, m 1876 in Qld, was William Fox. Martin, from Qld bdm, seems to have d 1939 Qld, & Eliza 1943 Qld.
I don't know how Martin came to Qld, but Eliza was b here. Her family, William Tedford, Margaret Magee, & their ch Abigail Ann & Mary Margaret, came to Qld on the Ramillies in 1855 e.g. from New South Wales Australia immigration records online image of Reel 2137 of that voyage.

Offline Fionaheff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
There is no record of a birth of Martin Collins in Kilcommon Templebeg. The only Martin recorded is in a marriage record. He married Johanna Carew of Rearchurch (not sure what that means) on 09/02/1891 Sp James Ryan and Anne Carew. They had 2 children Edmond B.25/02/1892 Edmond Collins and Bridget Collins and Michael B 13/08/1894 sp John Collins and Susan Carey.
There is no Mary Margaret McCarthy recorded either. The closest is Margaret McCarthy 07/07/1868 to James McCarthy and Sarah Ryan Sp Philip Ryan and Bridge McCormack.
Are you sure it is Kilcommon Templebeg you need? There is another Kilcommon in Tipperary which is in Cahir, South Tipperary. Good luck with your search

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Martin COLLINS s/ Martin & Mary/ Margaret MCCARTHY b 1853 Kilcommon Templebeg Ti
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for replying after all this time. I'm not at all sure that it's Kilcommon, Templebeg that I mean. I got the idea from here: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CoTipperary/2000-04/0955404841

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Martin COLLINS s/ Martin & Mary/ Margaret MCCARTHY b 1853 Kilcommon Templebeg Ti
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
By the way, "Mary" McCarthy came from world connect project mattfamilytree. "Margaret" McCarthy came from the Queensland online bmd index of Martin's death, which gives his mother and father. The forward slash was meant to mean "or". Sorry if I wasn't clear. Thanks again for answering.

Offline Fionaheff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How sure are you that these people are really your ancestors. Are they just names from the Internet or do you have concrete proof that they are definitely from your family tree? What information do you have from people you have talked to about where your ancestors came from?

Offline Fionaheff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
When I was in Dublin I found the following record from Cahir which was the only relevant ones that I could see. There were no Collins records.

February 7th 1854 Marian McCarthy Parents Johannus McCarthy and Mary Neugent, Kilcommon Sponsors Thomas McCarthy and J Gorman

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 June 17 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks. You'll be amazed, but I think I missed these posts. I'll investigate further now I've found them.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632137#page/77/mode/1up

Link to image of Baptism found by Fionaheff  (fourth up from end of page 77)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How good is that! I'm off to work but will look further soon. Thanks so much.