Author Topic: NZ query about John Arthur Bennett b1873 Kings Co Ireland s/o John and Florence  (Read 13866 times)

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help with more detail about my Grandfathers lineage.

John Arthur Bennett b 27/5/1873. He was baptised at Bourney, Tipperary.

I believe his parents were John ? Bennett and Florence Matear b 1847.
Two sisters ? Frances b 1876 and Huonida b 1879 .

Thank you
 ;D

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Have a look at www.rootsireland.ie  you may be able to locate Baptisms and also Parents marriage here (pay site) :)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What denomination were your Bennetts?
There is also a record for Albert Godfrey Bennett 24th Dec 1876 Baptism
Father John Bennett Born KNOCKINROGER. Mother Florence Emma Bennett Matear (this surname is unusual, I am wondering if it should be MAHER) :) You give John Arthurs birth as Kings Co and Baptism in Bourney which is in North Tipperary.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wonder if this could be a sibling? and wonder if the first name has been mis-transcribed in the index?
Birth: Hucnida Mabel Bennett, Jan./Mar.1879 Cork registration district, volume 5 page 167
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBQZ-QWY

An online family tree gives her as Huonida Bennett born 30 Oct.1878. Mother Florence Emma Matear. Sister Francis Marion Georgina Bennett born 15 Sept.1875 and brother Albert Godfrey Bennett born 24 Dec.1876 died 1926. John Arthur Bennett isn't included.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bobi.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Aghadowey and Neil this is very interesting.

I have a number of "scraps" relating to Florence Matear 1849, supposedly born County Tyrone with Francis / Frances 1876, Kings County and Huonida / Huorida 1879 County Cork.
On the 1901 Census, Florence and daughters lived at Kilvilcorris, Drom, Tipperary.

On John Arthurs enlistment papers he states that "He" and his parents were born at Tipperary, Ireland, and they were of Church of Ireland faith.
He met and married Miriam May nee Gale in Victoria Australia (married 1913)
They had a son Arthur Godfrey 1914 in Victoria. Flight Seargent AG Bennett KIA  1943 aged 29yrs
Twins born in Wellington, NZ 1918 were apparently stillborn.
After that all I can come up with is Electoral rolls and memorial notices for Arthur Godfrey.

???

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
marriage on irish genealogy 14th march 1872  in st thomas church dublin  john bennett son of john bennett esq to florence emma matear  dtr of james matear architect witnesses charles harber and emma matear . address gresham hotel dublin and bruff co limerick for both. this might be a son of james, Huon arthur matear architect of liverpool there is also a marriage on 1881 /1894 lancashire parish project for another son to a bowerbank but the list of marriages is a bit too long for me to go through.ps i think john was born in 1874 according to family search

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
This may be totally unrelated but as Huonida is such an unusual first name it may be worthwhile checking it out. Marriage in Santa Clare California Hounida M Bennett to Frederick Paul Garm 20 Dec 1915.

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
This may be totally unrelated but as Huonida is such an unusual first name it may be worthwhile checking it out. Marriage in Santa Clare California Hounida M Bennett to Frederick Paul Garm 20 Dec 1915.

annclare
Just realised this is related to the family tree on A----y that Aghadowey mention except Huonida's husband is listed as Paul Gorm not Garm. Might be worthwhile trying to connect with the tree owner.
annclare

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Florence E Bennett age 60 travelled with daughter Frances Bennett age 32 Liverpool to New York on the Orduna 10 Nov 1914. Florence gave her brother as contact in the UK Mr A Matear Oileans House B--teth (difficult to read)  St Liverpool and stated on the passenger list that she was born in Dungannon
Frances stated she was born in Moneygall.
May help to find birth record.
annclare