Author Topic: Any old maps or pictures from Johnstonebridge?  (Read 23975 times)

Offline cheryllmcneil

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any old maps or pictures from Johnstonebridge?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 16 November 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Here is a site that has some old maps of Johnstonebridge in between Moffat and Lockerbie:

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16439

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 26 December 14 06:33 GMT (UK) »
I have just found where my husbands G G G Grandparents are buried ,They are in Johnstonebridge Old Cemetery, Archibald Hamilton and Mary Thomson ,plot no 166. I got this plot number from Dumfrieshire Archives , but they couldn`t tell me exactly where it is ,as no survey has been done . We did have a scout around ,but the cemetery is so overgrown, and many of the gravestones are very worn . I wondered if anyone had relatives in this section ,and could point us in the right direction
Many Thanks

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 December 14 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I didn't even know there were Plot Nos.  Silly really, I suppose all churchyards have records.
I have a lot of family in Johnstonebridge churchyard and often stop for a wander - and a chat - when I'm on the M74.  Boston 14, I'll certainly keep an eye out and if I see your names I'll let you know.

Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 December 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Maggie,

That would be very good of you , we  would really appreciate your help . Good luck !
Regards
Evelyn :)

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 28 December 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  the 'plot' numbers are actually the numbers from the memorial inscription book. Mary Thomson and Archibald Hamilton are in number 116 in the book sold by DGFHS but originally transcribed by Gilchrist & Shannon. There is no map of the gravestones but most are readable although it is now almost 50 years since they were transcribed and some may have been lost over the years.

Dumfries County Council (Now Dumfries & Galloway Regional council) accepted responsibility for the graveyards in 1929. They do hold accurate lair books from that date but pre-1929 is dependant on what they inherited from the Church. It is usually worth asking them although, for me anyway, it is a last resort.
Ian McClumpha

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 December 14 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian ,
Thanks for that info.
They didn`t seem to know where these lairs are, it is going to be a bit of footslogging I think . Maggie has very kindly offered to have a look,hopefully she might get lucky .
Evelyn

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 July 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
Just to let you know we went down to Old Johnstonebridge Cemetery recently and found the gravestone we were looking for,Archibald Hamilton and Mary Thomson . The church building has been bought by a couple who are renovating it ,but they don`t mind folks wandering about to find graves. The chap has cut the long grass down ,it was so high you couldn`t see the inscriptions . We found it in 5 minutes !
Thanks again for your offer.
Boston 14

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 November 15 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Boston 14,
So glad you found what you wanted, and sorry I didn't help.  I got sidetracked - understatement - by moving house and am only just getting back up to speed on FH.
Maggie
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 08 November 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
No Problem Maggie , it is so stressful moving house . It is great the couple have tidied the cemetery up ,you can see what you are looking for .As a result I found 5 or 6 others I had been looking for as well.

All the best
Evelyn