Author Topic: William LITTLE b. Ewes 1731  (Read 3882 times)

Offline DougNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William LITTLE b. Ewes 1731
« on: Monday 03 December 12 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I have William LITTLE baptised 1731 at Ewes, oldest child of Simon LITTLE in Terrona and Margaret LITTLE.  They had three other children: Mary, bpt 1732, Janet bpt 1734 and James bpt 1741.

This line of Littles descend from the Lairds of Meikledale and all but four are buried at Ewes.  The book, The Ewes Valley, kindly provides MIs which show the relationships between the family.  Just four are missing: William, Mary and Janet, and a cousin who went to the south of England.

A quick search for William LITTLE deaths at Ewes failed to show anything 1731 - 1741.  That's not surprising as he is not on his family's headstones.  Can someone please look a bit further for a William LITTLE death in Ewes or surrounding parishes?  Alternatively, any likely marriages?  As William's brother, James, became 'in Teronna' it seems likely William died or moved out of the area.

In another family tree I have a William LITTLE, b. 1731 (where?) who married and settled at Mealrigg in NW Cumberland.  He was one of the first LITTLEs (or Scottish names) recorded in the Bromfield parish records.  I'm trying to prove or disprove any connection between Mealrigg and Ewes.

Thanks,

Doug

Offline foodtechphred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William LITTLE b. Ewes 1731
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 April 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Doug,
Did you ever resolve this query?  I have William Little of Bromfield in my tree but have never found a birth for him.  I would be interested to know how you got on with your research.
Thanks, Liz

Offline DougNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 April 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

I managed to draw on some Clan Little Society family historians, including some who grew up in the Langholm area and had copied genealogies taken from some of the old Littles in the district.  They have letters and things about James but not a mention of William.  I have a copy of his baptism entry and have not found a death so he did exist.  There is no mention in any wills that I have found; that would have been the easiest way to locate the grown-up William.

The long and short of it is that the Mealrigg William's birthplace remains a mystery, as does the life story of the Ewes Valley William.

Regards

Doug

Offline foodtechphred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 April 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt reply.  The mystery continues ...

Regards

Liz

Offline kiwilittle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Allen Little
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 September 14 06:16 BST (UK) »
Greetings Doug,  not sure if we might be able to help you.  Please email us if needs be.
Best wishes
Allen
Steward. Clan Little NZ&A
www.littleclan.net 

LITTLE;  Thomas; James; William; John