Author Topic: Not much to do in those days!! Astwood, Wright, Cooke, Payne, Horton  (Read 4999 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Not much to do in those days!! (Astwood, Wright, Cooke, Payne, Horton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 17:34 BST (UK) »
Beds Archives online database has an entry dated 7 June 1832; Removed to Wootton; Mary Wright, wife of Abraham, and daughter, Mary, aged 15 with keyword Marston Moretaine.

The Beds FHS Poor Law Papers index has corresponding entry in 1832 for Mary, Abra & Mary being removal from Marston Moretaine to Wootton. 

Another Beds Archives entry ref PUBV34/1/100 dated 31 Aug 1842
Removal order and settlement examination for Ann Wright, widow and her child Mary Ann Wright aged  about one year and a half. Removed from North Crawley, County of Buckingham, to Wootton.

Examination of Ann Wright:  She is the widow of Abraham Wright lately deceased by whom she has one child names Mary Ann aged about one year and a half. She was married to her said late husband by Banns in the parish church of North Crawley on 25th December 1840. Her late husbands father William Wright came to see her late husband when she was living with him at Bedford Infirmary. She and her said child are now chargeable to the parish of North Crawley being relieved by order of the Board of Guardians of Newport Pagnell Union.
Examination of Abraham Wright of Kingsbury in the County of Middlesex, labourer touching the place of the last legal settlement of Ann Wright of North Crawley, Bucks, widow: Abraham Wright the late husband of Ann Wright was my son. I do not know or believe that my son ever did any act to gain a settlement in his own right. The place of my legal settlement is Wootton in the County of Bedford from the officers of which parish I have received relief. I gained my settlement in Wootton by hiring and service with Mr Richard Bass a farmer there. I was hired at Bromham Statute a fortnight before Michaelmas Day 1808 for a twelvemonth which time I served in the parish of Wootton.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Picked up this topic with my regular search for references to sugar, and was surprised to see talk of "2 hogsheads of sugar" travelling from Gt Linford to Bedford.

A hogshead in the sugar trade referred to the very large casks that the raw sugar was packed in for shipping from the plantations in the West Indies to London/Bristol/Liverpool/Greenock etc. It leaked molasses and generally weighed 13-16 cwt, and it's unlikely the Bedford grocer would have ordered 2 of those.
In 1830 we hadn't worked out how to make granulated sugar (that was prompted by the gentleman who invented the centrifugal dryers for the cloth industry some years later), sugar came as conical loaves of various sizes and the refineries packed them in barrels for transportation. So, I assume this report refers to two wine hogsheads, each of about 50-60 gallon capacity and 40"ht 30"dia, packed with sugar loaves that the grocer would sell either as complete loaves or as pieces.

Sorry, can't help with the family research, but can remember vividly going over the almost-pointed canal bridge at the Black Horse (just along from Linford Wharf) in the school bus almost every day for seven years.

Bryan.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks John. Thats a bit confusing.... !

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 May 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Another Beds Archives entry ref PUBV34/1/100 dated 31 Aug 1842
Removal order and settlement examination for Ann Wright, widow and her child Mary Ann Wright aged  about one year and a half. Removed from North Crawley, County of Buckingham, to Wootton.

Examination of Ann Wright:  She is the widow of Abraham Wright lately deceased by whom she has one child names Mary Ann aged about one year and a half. She was married to her said late husband by Banns in the parish church of North Crawley on 25th December 1840. Her late husbands father William Wright came to see her late husband when she was living with him at Bedford Infirmary. She and her said child are now chargeable to the parish of North Crawley being relieved by order of the Board of Guardians of Newport Pagnell Union.
Examination of Abraham Wright of Kingsbury in the County of Middlesex, labourer touching the place of the last legal settlement of Ann Wright of North Crawley, Bucks, widow: Abraham Wright the late husband of Ann Wright was my son. I do not know or believe that my son ever did any act to gain a settlement in his own right. The place of my legal settlement is Wootton in the County of Bedford from the officers of which parish I have received relief. I gained my settlement in Wootton by hiring and service with Mr Richard Bass a farmer there. I was hired at Bromham Statute a fortnight before Michaelmas Day 1808 for a twelve month which time I served in the parish of Wootton.
[/quote]

right, i get this now. What this tells us is that Abraham and Mary's son, also called Abraham stays local around North Crawley with his new wife and child. It is he who died and the parents have come up from Kingsbury to deal with the relocation of there daughter in law.

Interestingly his father  is named as William and Abraham in this text but it must be the same person.

I am unsure of who the earlier entry is about, but it does not seem to fit?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 May 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
With Abraham & Mary Wright in 1851 is Mary A Wright, grand-daughter born 1842 North Crawley. She seems to be the daughter of Abraham's son, also Abraham, & his wife Ann, now a widow.

Also in 1851 in that household is Joel Cook, nephew aged 1831 born Wootton, Beds. He is son of Daniel & Mary Cook baptised at Old Meeting House Bedford on 13/4/1830. They also baptised there are Caleb 1827, Caroline 1828 & Jesse 1823.  Daniel Cook married Mary Wright at Astwood on 2 July 1821. Mary is also daughter of Charles & Ann Wright & thus is Abraham's sister. Caleb Cook is with his widowed mother Mary born 1796 Astwood on 1851 census living in Wootton.   
Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 May 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
The Abraham Wright who married Ann in North Crawley on 25/12/1840 could be the Abraham, son of Abraham & Mary Wright baptised at Astwood on 12/1/1812. He was also the one buried at Astwood on 30 May 1841 aged 30 where it says he was from North Crawley.
Clement - Croydon

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 May 14 15:13 BST (UK) »
You are I am sure correct John. I of course will have to cross reference with my tree data but the names look right!

Of course this still doesn't tell us if it was John or Abraham who first met the cheese man!!

I still reckon John. Looking at this new information, Abraham may well have been working in Wooton at the time. It has always appeared to be the two brothers rather than all three in Astwood.

This is a big family even in 1700

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 May 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Yeah, that checks out with my data as well, amazing what a few paragraphs can tell you!!

Mike

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 May 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
Seems Abraham Wright married Ann Cox in Dec qtr 1840; it'd be good to see the marriage cert at North Crawley to get it confirmed that Abraham was his father.

The 1841 census was taken 6 June 1841 & Abraham junior was buried just before then, so he would not be there anyway, but I cannot find his widow Ann Wright in 1841. Their daughter Mary Ann's birth index in Newport Pagnell RD is in June 1841 so she could be or not be on 1841 census depending on her birthday.     
Clement - Croydon