Author Topic: Territorial or Militia Service Records 1898 to 1919  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Cutters Wenlock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Territorial or Militia Service Records 1898 to 1919
« on: Tuesday 05 February 13 12:37 GMT (UK) »
John Davies Thomas was born in Gwynfe, Carmathenshire 18 08 1875. Sometime after 1898 he moved to the Blackwood area of Monmouthshire. He worked as an agent on an estate and lived in Penllwyn Villa which I believe was near the railway south of Blackwood. I have good records from marriage, death and census sources and now I am searching for the estate on which he worked and for information about his connection with the military and maybe with the scouts. Family information suggests that he served in the Royal Field Artillary in WW1 probably in a Territorial or Militia capacity prior to the war as I think that he was recruited for the 2nd Boar War but did not leave the UK. He appears to be one of those soldiers whose records for WW1 do nor survive although I have 2 references to a JD Thomas being awarded service medals.
Can anyone lead me to further search opportunities please?
Thomas, Davies, Gwynfe,Llangadock, Carmarthenshire
Roderick, Llanddausant, Carmarthenshire
Appleton, Topcliffe, Yorkshire
Bateman, Ramsey, Hunts, Gedney, Lincs.
Dodd, Cheshire
Davies, Aberavon, Glamorgan
Addison, Whitby, Yorkshire
Nightscales, Hull, Yorkshire
Wheldale, Elstronwick, Yorkshire

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Territorial or Militia Service Records 1898 to 1919
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
If I am correct John Davis Thomas married Rosina James Dec 1905 Newport M 11a 427.  On the 1911 census John & Rosina are living at Penllwyn Villa, Pontlanfraith with 2 children.

Rosina's father was a James James born 1842 in Mynyddislwyn and was a Farmer.  It looks like the farm was about 60 acres in 1881.  It also looks like there may have only been one son, Oliver born 1876. I can't yet find him in 1911.

In 1911 James James is shown as a retired farmer living in Cwmfelinfach (3 miles from Pontllanfraith).  Not involved with agriculture so not sure if a 60 acre farm would be big enough to have an agent?

From looking at the families either side of John & Rosina Thomas on the 1911 census this is the approximate location of the Penllywn Villa:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB476GB510&q=NP12+2AL&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x486e21c467b61689:0x9180087c2d151f2d,Pontllanfraith+NP12+2AL&gl=uk&sa=X&ei=mSsRUcvbGoGM0wWd-oHAAg&ved=0CHcQtgM

I don't know if the house still stands (can't find it from googling) but I live locally and will ask around.

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Not found Oliver in 1911 but he died in 1948 at Glebe Farm Ynysddu -

http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/person/282930

He left a will with £2300.

Glebe Farm is still operating but I don't know how large it is.

RayD
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Cutters Wenlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 21:26 GMT (UK) »
RayDen. Thank you for the reply and you are on the right man. I will try the google reference tomorrow.  James James had 7 children I believe. Rosina was the youngest.
Dodd, Cheshire

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that John Davies Thomas was at Duffryn Farm.  After James James left it was being farmed by a Thomas Thomas along with his wife Margaret and children Maggie & Thomas and one farm labourer.

RayD

Offline Cutters Wenlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear RayDen. 
The Thomas name following James James at Duffryn farm is one of those coincedences that might send one on a wild goose chase. Indeed I believe that John Thomas never did live there also. The google map you have indicated does not help at present but it would appear that it is the right area.
Dodd, Cheshire

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 16:05 GMT (UK) »
During that period there were a number of large landowners in the area who could have employed JD Thomas.  The two major ones were I believe the Tredegar Estate and the Llanover Estate, the records of both are held in the Gwent Archives.  There were a few other estates in the early 1800's but not sure if they were still around early 1900's i.e. Abercarne, Moggridge & Llanarth.

Ray