Author Topic: Help with the Fasti  (Read 944 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Help with the Fasti
« on: Sunday 03 August 14 18:00 BST (UK) »
I thought I was done with minister relations after my Rev William Paxton but apparently not. After passing that information around the family I've now been told there may have been a minister on our Cochrane/Scott side at a church called Pearcie or Peirsie in the 19th century - name unknown! 

I've only been able to find a Chapel of Ease at Persie. I've been through the Fasti for the Parish of Persie but nothing there jumped out. Except the  Rev Herbert Bell - who replaced Charles Skene at the John Knox Church to in Aberdeen in 1877 and who later commits suicide by throwing himself under a train. :o

I've found a Rev John Duncan at Persie in 1830- he stayed less than a year. I can see all the ministers of Persie parish from 1848 through to the 1920s in Volume 5.

This side of the family are from Blairgowrie/Caputh way so I think I'm in the right direction. I just can't find the ministers for 1800 to 1830 or from 1831 to 1848. Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with the Fasti
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
Might be worth looking the place up in the catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 August 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
Persie church was built as a chapel of ease ca 1785, but acc. to the Fasti became a quoad sacra parish on 16 March 1859, a quoad sacra parish being an ecclesiastical parish, of which there could be several within a civil parish.
The Fasti says Persie was disjoined from Alyth, Bendochy, Blairgowrie, Caputh, Kirkmichael, Lethendy and Rattray, so perhaps your man was actually a minister in one of those parishes.

Have a look here for earlier mentions of Persie:
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/blairgowrie/chapter06.htm
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 August 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
Do you have access to the British Newspaper Archive? If not, PM me.  The Evening Telegraph - Saturday 24 August 1935 has an article about the 150th anniversary of Persie church with lots of info.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2 and Isabel H.  I think by searching at the National Archives I've confirmed I'm in the right place and that very informative newspaper article helped fill in more minister's names. What a plain wee church and the parishioners had to bring their own seats in the beginning. The article also lead me to check the surrounding parishes.  When I put in 'Lethendy' multiple reference to 'The Lethendy Case' popped up so I'm now reading about Butter, Clark and Kessen. It's all fascinating reading but so far no names or spouses' names resonate with the family names I know of.

MonicaL helped me enormously with this branch of my family as you can see from this old thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670693.0

As a result before 1810 I've got Cochran(e) and Nicholson on one side and
Scott, Robertson Thompson and Lindsay on the other.

Maybe I'll read a bit more about this time of disruption and come back to the family later.  Somehow I'm sure this all links back to Aberdeen ??? but don't ask me how.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir