Author Topic: THE SWARBRICK'S OF RIBCHESTER, LANCS  (Read 9578 times)

mobo

THE SWARBRICK'S OF RIBCHESTER, LANCS
« on: Thursday 28 October 04 21:28 BST (UK) »

At one time, SWARBRICK was a tiny place between KIRKHAM and WEETON in the county of LANCASHIRE, but all that remains today is Swarbrick Hall, a Georgian farmhouse. This stands near the site of the original hall, which burned down after the Swarbrick family fled to France during the reformation. 

RIBCHESTER lies on the River Ribble, south east of Longridge Fell, in the county of LANCASHIRE.  It is bounded on the north by the village of Chipping. Other nearby villages are Mitton, Grimsargh and Goosnargh. 

The Swarbrick's were mostly Yeoman/Farmers, and like many other Lancastrians, still practiced the old religion. For many years, they  were  convicted as 'recusants' and listed in 'Papist Returns', that is until 1791, when they signed the 'Oath of Allegiance'.

Their place of worship was the Catholic chapel in Stonyhurst College.

Offline Marmitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: THE SWARBRICK'S OF RIBCHESTER, LANCS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 04 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just for interests sake, as I'm not at the moment researching this line (yet???). My maternal grandfathers sister (surname Miller)married a James Swarbrick in the early part of the 1900s. The Miller family was from the Preston area (Bamber bridge). I was just wondering if there is a link here?
Maggie.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
The Swarbricks of Ribchester, Lancs
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 11:30 GMT (UK) »
 ::) ::) ::)

Sorry, don't go that far back in the Preston area - my Swarbricks moved to Manchester in the 1800's.
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Phil Tomlinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I have Catholic ancestors which originated from the Ribchester and Chipping area.  The Bradley family came from Chipping.  I know that there is a Bradley Hall southeast of Chipping, but I do not know if my Bradleys were part of the same family.

I am also descended from the Hesmondhalgh family of Ribchester.  Although most Hesmondhalgh were not Catholic, apparently a few of them were.  (Edward Bradley married Elizabeth Hesmondhalgh at St. Wilfrid's, Ribchester September 21, 1773.)  I have found that all Hesmondhalghs originate from Ribchester.

You refer to the Catholic Chapel at Stoneyhurst College.  Could you tell me if there are registers in existance from the chapel, and if so, how far back do they go?  Perhaps I could pick up a few more clues.

I look forward to hearing from you.  And thank you for replying to one of my earlier posts about Fylde Catholic families.
Catholic families of the Amounderness region of Lancashire, England:  Tomlinson, Bamber, Gillow, et. al.
Dunn, Dempsey, McCabe from the Clonaslee area of Laois, Ireland.
Nolan, Kelly from Tipperarry, Ireland.

Offline LancsLass

• I am sorry but my emails address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Glad to see some Hesmondhalgh's finally turn up on Rootschat.....was begining to think they had all given up the ghost..
LancsLass.
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.
Mallalieu/Mellodew. Ashton-u-Lyne/Saddleworth.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Swabricks of Ribchester Lancs.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 05 15:27 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)

I think you'll find the records are held at Preston - or you could try contacting the Lancashire Family History Society (not to be confused with the Manchester & Lancs F.H.S.) they should be able to give you some tips in finding these catholic records. 

:) :)
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 March 05 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just for interests sake, as I'm not at the moment researching this line (yet???). My maternal grandfathers sister (surname Miller)married a James Swarbrick in the early part of the 1900s. The Miller family was from the Preston area (Bamber bridge). I was just wondering if there is a link here?
Maggie.

The Swarbricks of Singleton Grange are possible the
ones you are looking for.

I think at least one settled in Kirkham.

They are known as the Swarbricks of Singleton Grange because of the first generation found

John Swarbrick husbandman b1701.

Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline mdparker0731

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 December 06 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Having reconsidered my own Swarbrick line, I now suspect I am descended from the Swarbricks of Singleton Grange. My 4G Grandfather was Henry Swarbrick bc.1770 Medlar (with Wesham).  I believe he was the son of Richard Swarbrick and Margaret (Rigby) who married 6 May 1766 in Lytham. Richard would have been born c.1741 and I suspect he was son of John Swarbrick and Ann of Singleton Grange. Richard died in Greenhalgh c.1792, as did his son, Henry, who died there in 1844.

Would be interested to get any more info on this line.

Regards, Mike.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 December 06 10:41 GMT (UK) »
 :-\ :-\

Wish I could help you Mike, but unfortunately, this was my late husband's family and I was researching it for my son, who now has the file with all the information.

Sorry.

;) ;)