Author Topic: Edgar Henderson's Family  (Read 11017 times)

Offline Topspin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edgar Henderson's Family
« on: Sunday 22 November 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to follow the line of my gggrandfahter's brother, Edgar Grierson Henderson. He was born in 1860 in Torthorwald. He married in 1891 to Agnes Campbell (b. 1872). According to the 1901 census they have four children, Robert (1893), Edgar (1896), Minnie (1896), and Samuel (1899). Edgar G. died at sea on board the ship Astoria in 1901. He was a crew member. I guess it is highly probable Agnes remarried. Would the children change names too?
Henderson - Dumfries
Armour - Ayrshire
Blaikie - Aberdeen

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar Henderson's Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 09 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Topspin,

There is a death of an Agnes Henderson (other name Campbell) on SP for 1937 in Dumfries, but with an approximate birth year of 1868. Ages can be out on death certificates though so I wouldn't discount it just yet.

There are no other names mentioned on that death record, so if it is your Agnes, it seems likely she didn't remarry. Usually in those instances, children would keep their father's name.

hume :)

Offline KAMA

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 November 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
hi Topspin,

Just to confirm - this is the death of Agnes.  She died 15.10.1937 at Caul Back House in Dumfries.  Her parents were Samuel - a railway foreman and Williamina Stewart.  Her son Edgar signed the d.c and he still lived in Dumfires at the time.  All we need to do now is find Edgar and his siblings.

Kama
Henderson,Johnston,Smith,Patterson,Beck,McCormick,

Cowan, Macdonald,Nicolson,McArthur,Armour,McCuaig,Stewart,

Offline Topspin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the information. I agree what KAMA said, "All we need to do now is find Edgar and his siblings." Is it possible some family members are still in Dumfries?
Henderson - Dumfries
Armour - Ayrshire
Blaikie - Aberdeen

Offline Topspin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 December 09 20:16 GMT (UK) »
After some searching: Robert Campbell Henderson passed away in 1974 in Edinburgh. Samuel Campbell Henderson passed away in 1968 in Dumfries. Wilhelmina Grierson Henderson passed away in Dumfries at the age of 94 in 1988. How easy is it to view their newspaper obituaries?
Henderson - Dumfries
Armour - Ayrshire
Blaikie - Aberdeen

Offline Topspin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 December 09 21:01 GMT (UK) »
It seems Edgar changed his name to Edward Grierson Henderson. He married Elizabeth Crammond in 1922. He died in Dumfries in 1946.
Henderson - Dumfries
Armour - Ayrshire
Blaikie - Aberdeen

Offline karenchris74

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to follow the line of my gggrandfahter's brother, Edgar Grierson Henderson. He was born in 1860 in Torthorwald. He married in 1891 to Agnes Campbell (b. 1872). According to the 1901 census they have four children, Robert (1893), Edgar (1896), Minnie (1896), and Samuel (1899). Edgar G. died at sea on board the ship Astoria in 1901. He was a crew member. I guess it is highly probable Agnes remarried. Would the children change names too?
Edgar Greirson was my GGGrandfarther with my relatives still living in dumfries i would be happy to give you any info that may help.

Offline Topspin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 23:52 GMT (UK) »
This is great! I would love to see the information you have. I will send a PM.
Henderson - Dumfries
Armour - Ayrshire
Blaikie - Aberdeen

Offline KAMA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karenchris,

I too am researching edgars family as we have the same Henderson ancestors in Torthorwald.  I would be keen to know any info you can share as I too still live in the Dumfries area.  I have tried to send you a PM but could not.  If you send me a PM with your email I will tell you about my Henderson line and give you my email address.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you

Kama
Henderson,Johnston,Smith,Patterson,Beck,McCormick,

Cowan, Macdonald,Nicolson,McArthur,Armour,McCuaig,Stewart,