Author Topic: David & Margaret Sturgeon  (Read 8946 times)

Offline Colin1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David & Margaret Sturgeon
« on: Friday 19 October 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

I am looking for relatives (dead or alive!!) that are descendants of my grandparents, David & Margaret (nee Thomson) Sturgeon. David was one of 16 children to William & Sarah (nee McGauchie) Sturgeon, both born, 1892 - 3. I have no information on Margaret.

They were married on 7th May 1914 in Dumfries, both age 21 at the time.

On their marriage, David was listed as a butcher and Margaret as a sweets factory worker.

They produced my father, David Purdie Sturgeon on 18th December 1920. I am aware that he had a number of brothers and sisters.

My father rarely spoke of his grandparents, parents or siblings (until just before his death). So, any info would be appreciated.

Offline Colin1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David & Margaret Sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 October 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
I've just realised that I have made a bit of an error in  the format of my original post. :P

I should make it clear that my grandparents, David and Margaret Sturgeon were born 1892 - 3. In fact, David was born 27th March 1893. Margarets birth date can only be inferred from the age given at marriage, 21.

William & Sarah were married on 27th July 1879.

Anybody out there from the same line?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 October 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have no information on Margaret.

The 1914 marriage cert should show her parents names and her mothers maiden name.

The image is viewable on Scotlands People which is a pay per view site (via credits purchase)

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 October 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Roots

On the marriage, for David and Margaret, does it state who her father was, and his occupation

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

I think, from general searches on SP, as linked by Carole above, that Margaret Thomson/Sturgeon died in Dumfries in 1934. You should be able to view the image of this death cert online on SP.

David Sturgeon possibly died in 1966 in Dumfries. This period is outside of the time you can view online for deaths (with a 50 year privacy rule) and the cert would have to be ordered. Death certs can be a useful source of info in respect of  the names of the informants to deaths as these can often be close family members which can help you tracing descendants.

Maybe David Sturgeon remarried given the early death of wife Margaret? A marriage entry shows in Dumfries in 1934. You may likely be looking for descendants from two marriages... You are still within the period where you can view this image online on SP to confirm details for David Sturgeon on this 1934 marriage.

Where are you based Colin? If in Scotland, you may want to consider going to one of the main genealogy centres there. It is hard to trace births in this period that you are in. Unlike in England and Wales, where you can search from 1911 (can't remember the specific month!) onwards with both father and mother's surnames, you cannot do that in Scotland. Due to the 100 year rule for births, all births currently from 1912 need to be ordered at a cost of £12 (via SP which is the cheapest way).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Colin1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I have a copy of the 1914 wedding certificate, printed from the image file obtained from the SP web site. However, the handwriting is very difficult to follow. Margarets fathers first name is unreadable (by me!). Occupation is given as 'something of wines'. Margarets mothers first name is given as 'Ellen', nee 'McKenzie'.

I am very new to this but hope to dig deeper in the near future.

In answer to the question of where I am based, I live in Edinburgh.

Thanks again.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

If you are in Edinburgh, you might want to consider booking yourself in for a day at www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk

For the period that you are in where certificates are difficult to view online due to data protection, visiting the Edinburgh centre will let you view more 'modern' certs to move your research on.

I think the marriage in 1934 is a correct remarriage for David Sturgeon (he shows a butcher journeyman, widower). Any children from this marriage, together with children from his first marriage to Margaret Thomson, you should be able to confirm from a visit to the SP Centre.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcdowell1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,I think your father (David) Sturgeon was my nanny Sadie's brother,my nanny lived in Millisle N.Ireland ,i also have David and Margaret marriage certificate as well.
My nanny's married name was McDowell ,she passed away in 2006.
I have found alot of the Sturgeon family on Ancestry,if you would like some help,let me know.

Gemma

Offline mcdowell1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi me again on the marriage paper you are right, i had trouble reading Margaret's father name to it start's with  (H) and for his work,  he is a blender of wines.

Gemma