Author Topic: Paternity index now includes Dumfriesshire cases 1849-1854 and 1884-1897  (Read 6533 times)

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Paternity index now includes Dumfriesshire cases 1849-1854 and 1884-1897
« on: Thursday 17 October 13 12:29 BST (UK) »
Over the last few weeks we have been working on a project to index the paternity cases found in the Sheriff Courts of the South of Scotland.

We have now added cases from Dumfries for the years 1849-1854 and 1884-1897. This brings the total entries in our database to 1,318 entries.

The database is free to search so it's worth having a look: http://www.maxwellancestry.com/ancestry/resources/courtsearch.aspx

If you have not come across this type of source yet have a look at our online guide to help you get started. http://www.maxwellancestry.com/ancestry/resources/helpcourt.aspx

I hope this new resource helps you get over a brick wall or two.

Emma

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Paternity index now includes Dumfriesshire cases 1849-1854 and 1884-1897
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 13 14:42 GMT (UK) »
This collection has been updated: it now covers cases from Dumfriesshire for the years 1830-1867 and 1884-1897. Total entries is 2,139! More coming soon!!

Offline irenemac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paternity index now includes Dumfriesshire cases 1830-1867 and 1884-1897
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 November 13 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
What extra details is one likely to get from the actual entry in the paternity index? And will indexes for 1867-1884 be available eventually?

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 November 13 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes 1867-1884 for Dumfries should be online by the end of the year, in fact we're planning to index up to 1914.

We have an example of a full entry available here: http://maxwellancestry.co.uk/ancestry/resources/decree_example.pdf

The entries vary slightly from court to court but the above is the general format. It gives the date of birth of the child, name and designation of the father and mother of said child and the amount of aliment the court decrees the father is to pay.

It also gives the date the decree was made. This means in many cases it is possible to use the records as a key to unlock the court processes. Before 1860 almost all processes survive, sadly after 1860 it was the practice to destroy them.

I have written a little on our website about court processes but plan to write up a blog about what they are and how to access them. Basically the processes are the paperwork relating to the case, generally including witness testimonies. These papers are generally folded and kept in boxes in the National Records of Scotland. Take it from one who has done it, searching them can take a long time without a 'finding aid' but finding the case you are looking for is well worth it!

We hope this index can therefore help give easy access to the decree but also act as an aid to finding out even more information.

I'll post a link when I have written the blog.

Emma

Offline JunoH

• RootsChat Extra
  • William James Hiddleston Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 May 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for putting these on your site.  I have since discovered that my great-grandfather had a paternity case brought against him (which was proved) and am now trying to trace descendants of his daughter.

I would never have known about his 13th child without your website.

Thanks again.

June
Wilson, Hiddleston, Shankland, McCall, Dickson, Carruthers, Grierson: Dumfriesshire.
Duguid, Strachan, Kellas, Mitchell: Glenmuick / Aboyne / Bellabeg / Logie Coldstone / Peterhead.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 May 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Any idea whether there are plans to cover Coldstream?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 May 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
I'm pleased to say the court that covers Coldstream is already online. A Coldstream case would likely be taken to the Berwickshire Sheriff Court in Duns, marked Duns in our index.

Hope you find who you are looking for.

Emma

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 May 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Emma

I was not aware of this information being available till now. Thank you for posting this.

When you talk about Dumfries, do you mean Dumfries and Galloway?

I have two female ancestors, both of whom have no father's names, who were born 1880 and 1883 in Wigtownshire. Is it worthwhile searching for them in your records yet? It would clear up a lot of angst!

Thanks.

Judy

Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 May 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response to my Coldstream query Emma. I was hoping to find a potential father for my great grandfather George Murray, 1861, but no luck this time. He was born in Coldstream and is registered as the illegitimate son of Barbara Murray. She married William Robinson Turner 3 years later and raised her son as George Murray Turner. Have not found any indication that Barbara and William were in the same geographical area at the time of George´s conception, so I was hoping your indexes might shed some light on the situation.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn