Author Topic: Tiny Tafel  (Read 5112 times)

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Tiny Tafel
« on: Sunday 01 August 04 00:10 BST (UK) »
My Genealogy software has the facility to produce 'Tiny Tafel' reports.

Would such a report be useful on RootsChat ?  Perhaps including the report in our signatures or profiles...?

The following has been copied from the Help file of my Genealogy software:

A Tiny Tafel Report is a compact way of describing a database of people. It contains general information about family lines, but it is not a source of genealogical data. Rather, it provides a way to share your research interests.
Tiny Tafel files have traditionally been posted to public forums, such as a BBS (Bulletin Board System) or an on-line service (e.g., CompuServe, Prodigy, etc.). Someone posts a file and other people search the file for surnames of interest and then contact the submitter if there's a similar research interest.

Advanced Users Tip
If you currently have your own Web site, you might consider placing a downloadable Tiny Tafel on your site. They are a great way to let others see at a glance the lines you are researching and determine if you may have common lines.

Paul Andereck, former editor of Genealogical Computing magazine, proposed the idea and the specification was developed by Commsoft in 1986. One of the driving forces in developing the Tiny Tafel was to implement a very structured database that could compare Tiny Tafels and provide a report on matches. The Tafel Matching System was developed to do this. There are a number of bulletin boards around the country that have the Tafel Matching System installed.

Here is an example of a Tiny Tafel Report:

N   Thomas Jones
   A   123 Any St.
   A   Anytown, Any County 12345
   T   333-444-5555
   S   thomas@jones.com
   S   www.jones.com
   Z   3
   A160   1813*1850*AVERY\ Hampshire, England/Hampshire, England
   M220   1810*1850*MARTIN\ Armagh, Ireland/Grey Co. Ontario
   M220   1920*1948*SMITH\ Brock, Saskatchewan/San Jose, Ca
   W   24 May 1997

The Tiny Tafel Report begins with header lines containing the name (N), address (A), and telephone number (T) of the submitter. Following these lines are optional lines (S) giving more information about the "Communication Service," for example your e-mail address and Web page address. This is followed by a required line (Z), which gives the number of data lines. Next come the data lines (described below), and finally a line (W) with the date when the report was generated.

The data lines in a Tiny Tafel Report typically contain:
Soundex code for surname   (4 characters)
Space delimiter   (1 space)
Earliest ancestor birth year   (4 numbers YYYY)
Ancestor interest level   (1 character)
Latest descendant birth year   (4 numbers YYYY)
Descendant interest level   (1 character)
Surname   (variable length)
\ Ancestor birth place   (variable length)
/Descendant birth place   (variable length)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny Tafel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 August 04 22:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not familiar with Tiny Tafel, when I first read your message, I wondered if he might be a relative of mine !!!!!

There is an exciting development in the pipeline for people to share and search their trees on RootsChat, which we are still testing. It will be free too. it should be with us in about a fortnight (that's two weeks!).

Trystan
RootsChat Admin

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 September 04 06:52 BST (UK) »
Trystan
Is there any news on the "new development" is it already here?

SSRhondda
What program are you using please?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 September 04 07:22 BST (UK) »
Newbie,

The moderators are currently trying it out - it's got a few bugs that we need to iron out first. :)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 September 04 07:24 BST (UK) »
Okay Trystan, thanx, just thought I might have missed it while I was away on hols.
Newbie :)

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 September 04 20:53 BST (UK) »
SSRhondda
What program are you using please?

I am using 'Generations Grande Suite (UK Version)'It is the only genealogy program I have bought, and am quite pleased with it. I have been using it for about 3 years now.
Not sure if it is still for sale. The version I have was sold under the 'Sierra On-Line' brand name.
I am sure most other genealogy packages can create Tiny Tafel reports...

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 September 04 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thanx for theinfo