Author Topic: Segrave, McCarthy Drogheda  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Bernadette105

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Segrave, McCarthy Drogheda
« on: Thursday 01 May 14 23:27 BST (UK) »
My GGGrandfather Michael Segrave was baptised Dec 17th 1821. RC Church baptism (Don't know church). His Parents were John Segrave and Catherine McCarthy.  I am looking to find any additional family... either John or Catherine's family.  Family history says we are related to Cannon of the Cathedral in Drogheda. My guess is St. Patrick's and that Msg Patrick Segrave is a GG or GGGGrand Uncle. 

John moved the family moved to Wigan in about 1830. They were Cotton Weavers.

Michael Segrave went on to be involved in politics of the day..including the Chartist movement. He was also a writer and is pubished in two books of poetry.. "Lovely Irish Jane" in The Harp OF ERIN, Ralph Varian and  " The Eviction"  in "The Popular Poetry, Street Ballads, and Household Songs"

Thank you so much.. Bernadette

O'Brien, Clancy, Segrave, Sinnott,Synnott, Brown, Connor, Matthews (Mathieson), Devine, Harney, Bartley, Hogan, Watterson,

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Segrave, McCarthy Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 June 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
I had a go at searching for Michaels birth on RootsIreland and it appears to be there, Michael 1821 Drogheda, father John, but when I put in Catherine McCarthy I lost it, however it came back when I left out the name Catherine but kept McCarthy.
Once you have the parents you can take out the child's first name and put 0 in its place and it will give you all the children for that couple, but there was only that one result, so from that he appears to be an only child. Which you probably already knew.
I than tried to find a marriage for John and Catherine but no luck.
No help at all I'm afraid.