Author Topic: David Murphy born Limerick abt 1832 and died dublin 1927  (Read 13388 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Murphy born Limerick abt 1832 and died dublin 1927
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 September 14 15:57 BST (UK) »
So John Devoy died in 1928 and said the last time he had contact with David Murphy he was over 90 years of age.
If you can prove he's the same man i am sure the National Graves Association would be interested in his grave.
Here's what they did for my great grandfather Matthew O'Neill who is credited in Thomas Clarke Luby's papers as the man who recruited John Devoy.
http://www.nga.ie/news-Fenian_headstones_unveiled.php

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Great Work Dathai  ;D

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
not sure whether the Edward Kelly mentioned here is the same man see Unreleased  Prisoners 17 Jan 1878
http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cork/1878/JAN.html

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
http://feniangraves.net/Tierney,%20Patrick/SHANACHIE-2013-4.pdf

This article on page 4 right hand column refers to Edward O'Kelly for shootlng David Murphy informer but we know from Devoy's book that this was deluded.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this helps or not but David Murphy is mentioned as being a cashier of the Irishman Newspaper.

David was up on charges of trying to embezzle money from Mr David Pigot, and those of the time found it 'intriguing' that on the same day there was an attempt on his life.

Edward was found guilty, BUT based on information on a chap whom appeared to not be credible and had a few aliases.

David was later awarded £250 ( a lot of money for then) for his injuries.

Tara

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:00 BST (UK) »
So in 1868 they thought he had left the country when in fact he had come to Dublin funny a guy called Shen Iki Takamarrah (cant remember proper spelling of his name) who done a thesis on the fenians said that my great grandad had gone to England in 1868 he actually legged it to Cork in 1867 where he got married in 1867 there till circa 1875.
http://search.findmypast.ie/search/irish-newspapers?date=1868-02-20&date_offsetdate=1868-02-20&firstname=david&lastname=murphy&keywords=limerick

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
Tar and Dathai. Trying to take it all in. Tara you correctly mentioned I should take stock and see where I was going as regards costs of certs etc. At present I am greatly wiser anyway and interest seems to grow. I will be cautious about costs considering David Murphy started out as a side-show that may have taken me back to folk beyond his mother. Dathai you are amazing me with the items you are turning up! It is all much appreciated I assure you. That goes for you too Tara. As for my own G grandfather William Cummins - after marrying in Limerick 1872 he had child there in 1873 and then went to Manchester area and had another two children - the last in 1880 and he had then again 'legged it' (to use your words) and was not even present to register birth?  He is absent from family census records thereafter. No death traced and his wife was never described as a widow? He had been described as a plasterers labourer and dyer but when my gran married in 1906 she described him as a Master Builder - was she told exaggerated stories about him to hide another side of him? I previously said that nothing else would surprise me - I retract that statement!!! I am very very surprised by your findings.