Author Topic: Patrick Byrne B:1857 Dublin  (Read 2885 times)

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Byrne B:1857 Dublin
« on: Sunday 16 November 14 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone can advise me please. I am not too sure how to go about this. I am trying to find my grandfather's brother.

His name was Patrick Byrne, born 23rd March 1857 in Dublin. His parents were Edward Byrne and Catherine McCabe.

I am trying to find out if he grew up, married, had children etc. Would I have to end up buying every marriage cert for a Patrick Byrne from about the age of twenty or so or is there another way of doing this that is less expensive and time consuming?

Thank you for any help/ideas in advance.

Nora

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Byrne B:1857 Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
You've posted some details on an earlier thread which seem to be incorrect-
I have two children listed for this couple.  The parents are Edward BYRNE and Catherine McCABE.
                Patrick BYRNE b:14th March 1857 - St. Agatha R.C church Dublin
                Edward BYRNE b: 26th Feb. 1859 - St. Mary, Pro Cathedral Dublin          

Baptism of Patritius Byrne 1857 at St. Mary, Pro Cathedral (not St. Agatha's)
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/ad00630187902
Baptism of Edvardus Byrne 1859 at St. Agatha's (not St. Mary, Pro Cathedral)

Even if you did get ALL the marriage certificates for Patrick Byrnes in Ireland how would you know you've found the correct one (quite of few of them might have had father named Edward). At this point you don't know if Patrick Byrne married, died (either before or after registration of deaths in 1864) or stayed in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aghadowey,

Thank you for your quick reply to my question re: Patrick Byrne. I had meant marriage certificates for Dublin not the whole of Ireland. Sorry I didn't state that. There is nothing in the family that says he emigrated and that was what set me wondering. I don't know if marriage certificates of the late 1800s would have given both parents names?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 14 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I suspect there will be quite a few Dublin marriages for a 'Patrick Byrne' but even if one (or more than one) has a father named Edward how will you know it's the person you are looking for? Civil marriage certificates do not list the mother's name.

"There is nothing in the family that says he emigrated"
Was there ever any mention of him in family records or is the baptism the first/only record you've found for Patrick?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 November 14 10:18 GMT (UK) »
The baptism is the only record I have found for Patrick. As his brother Edward (my grandfather) died in 1931 and the family were not interested in genealogy I have no stories or family lore to go on. I would have thought though that if he had emigrated and made a success of things it would be known in the family? Perhaps I am being over optimistic?

Thank you Aghadowey.

Nora

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 November 14 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Nora
I have also researched with humble beginnings but it is amazing what you can find!
I also have researched the name Byrne and as it is common it is difficult

On the 1901 census there were 68 men named Patrick Byrne aged 43 +/-5years living in Dublin
LINK

Do you have the record of Edward Byrne's marriage to see who was his witnesses?
The same for the baptisms of his children - you may find Patrick listed here or another person named Byrne which could be a child of his and help make a link

I don't believe investing in all the available certificates would help you
Also remember he may have left Dublin and married elsewhere or died

Also remember that not all records are online - you maybe still missing more family members
and not all baptism records show the mother's surname

Best of luck
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline npl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 November 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello myluck,

Thank you for replying to my query. I do have Edward Byrnes marriage from the parish register. The witnesses names were Timmons and Hunt. They are no relation so I am back to square one on that. I will have a look to see who the witnesses were on his childrens births certs. Thank you for that tip. I may just be lucky.