Author Topic: Dunbartonshire church records - Urquhart  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Johnoz

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dunbartonshire church records - Urquhart
« on: Saturday 16 October 10 07:44 BST (UK) »
I'm on the quest to find the roots of one of my great grandmothers, Jessie Gourlay nee Urquhart. We know from several censuses that she was born at Helensburgh or nearby Rhu [or Row] c 1845. There is no record of her birth on Scotlandspeople and it has been suggested to me by a kind Rootschatter that I should try this Dunbartonshire forum to see where I can access the parish records of the Free Church of Scotland or Episcopal records, for these locations as apparently they are not on the official site.

According to Jessie's marriage certificate her parents were James Urquhart and Jessie Henderson and on her death certificate they are given as William Urquhart and Ann Henderson.

John Gourlay
Melbourne, Australia
SCT-Bissett, Black, Bowar, Cameron, Carstairs, Crighton, Dewar, Fleeming, Forbes, Gourlay, Graham, Hay, Henderson, Higs, Husband, Laurence, McIntosh, Meffan, Meiklejohn, Millar, Patterson, Petrie, Ramsay, Robertson, Sands, Sinclair, Smith, Steven, Thomson, Urquhart, Wishart.  ENG-Butler, Cooke, Coster, Edwards, Harris, Kent, Woodcock, Wyatt.

Offline annejay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunbartonshire church records - Urquhart
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 10 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
 I have a similar problem but have just found that the Kirk sessions of the Church of Scotland will be transcribed on Family search from the end of this October onwards.They are available on film from LDS centres.
 Annejay NZ.
abbott london-maynard and hadley berkshire-lashmar and west sussex-sullivan and rooney lancashire-grahamand thompson london

Offline Johnoz

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 10 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Annejay

Thanks for that. I'm away on holiday at the moment. Will follow up with my local LDS when I return.

John Gourlay
SCT-Bissett, Black, Bowar, Cameron, Carstairs, Crighton, Dewar, Fleeming, Forbes, Gourlay, Graham, Hay, Henderson, Higs, Husband, Laurence, McIntosh, Meffan, Meiklejohn, Millar, Patterson, Petrie, Ramsay, Robertson, Sands, Sinclair, Smith, Steven, Thomson, Urquhart, Wishart.  ENG-Butler, Cooke, Coster, Edwards, Harris, Kent, Woodcock, Wyatt.

Offline Surreycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 October 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hello John
Just wondering if you are still searching for Jessie Urquhart Gourlay - I am her gt gt granddaughter through her eldest son John - like you I haven't had much success with the1851 census or finding a birth certificate. My grandfather was Alexander Gourlay - he took over his fathers newsagents in Dura st Dundee. His son, my uncle John Gourlay died a few weeks ago at the age of 85 in Canada - he emigrated there with his wife and son in the 1970s.My mother and her sister live in Kirriemuir .
We are a bit thin on descendants in this part of the family! My cousin and myself are the only gt grandchildren of John Urquhart Gourlay - my cousin has no children and I have just one daughter.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 October 13 12:30 BST (UK) »

like you I haven't had much success with the1851 census or finding a birth certificate.

You won’t find a birth certificate for a birth c 1845 as statutory birth registration did not start in Scotland till 1855. You might find the baptism but, as has been mentioned previously only the Church of Scotland and the RC church records are on-line (on Scotlandspeople). For other denominations eg the Free Church of Scotland & Episcopal church you need to try and trace the records (if they have survived.) If the churches still exist, you could contact them. If not, you could try the National Records in Edinburgh (according to a reference book I have the CH3 repertory might contain some Free Church records) or try the local museum in Helensburgh or Dumbarton to see if they know where the records are held.
Elwyn

Offline Surreycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 October 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Elwyn -will try and find out about the church records

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 October 13 17:03 BST (UK) »
Do you know names of other family member's I live in Helensburgh and Know that a lot of family members changed the name Gourlay to Mcgourlay if you give me some other names I will see what I can find

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Surreycat,

Welcome to RootsChat :) I am afraid the John is no longer picking up his emails, maybe he has changed email address :-\

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk