Author Topic: Missing great grandma from Doncaster street, maryhill  (Read 4599 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing great grandma from Doncaster street, maryhill
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 August 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
You say that she was born "around 1884 possibly in the Old Kilpatrick area" and that she married "probably about 1903". As there is so much uncertainty about this person and family stories are often very unreliable or misleading might I suggest that you establish the exact dates of these events so that you are at least starting off on firm ground?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 August 13 12:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome , Catherine  :)

Scotlandspeople has a marriage Samuel Kennedy / Maggie Wilson 1905 Old Kilpatrick , Dunbarton.

Can't easily see a likely divorce for the couple on National Archives of Scotland(NRS) website.

ev

This marriage listed by Ev is the couple in question. Maggie is 19 years old and Samuel is 22.
Marrisge at Woodside Place, Bowling on 14th July 1905.
Maggie's parents are Robert Wilson a joiner journeyman and Jane Wilson nee McLeod (dec'd). Woodside Place appears to be Maggie's home address Both Samuel and Maggie are machinists.

Looby :)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 August 13 13:55 BST (UK) »
That would appear to tie up with a Maggie McLeod Wilson, birth registered in 1885 in Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire. The 1901 census records that birthplace and correct parents' names.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 August 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
So Maggie appears to be a Maggie and not a Margaret.
But perhaps she was registered in death as a Margaret, if the person who gave the information was not aware that Maggie was her given name.

The Maggie Kennedy/Wilson death in 1947 Lanark found by bleckie is not this Maggie unfortunately :(
That lady has a different maiden name and was married twice once to a Wilson and then to a Kennedy.
Parents details are completely different.

Looby

Offline Cathreeny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 August 13 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information Bruce. I will check that out. I have since found out that her date of birth was 11/11/1885, but I know errors can be made. Thanks again for the ongoing advice.

Kind regards
Catherine x

Offline Cathreeny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:11 BST (UK) »
That will be her imber,her middle name was McLeod. I thought I had made a breakthrough the other day when I found a passenger list for a ship which left Glasgow for Montreal in 1925, but it transpired that the maggie Kennedy, with same year of birth was from maybole. The highs and the lows are quite exhausting in this business. Never mind, enjoyable none the less.

Catherine x