Author Topic: Alfred William Ashmall died 1908 Twechar near Kirkintilloch  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred William Ashmall died 1908 Twechar near Kirkintilloch
« on: Wednesday 04 September 13 17:35 BST (UK) »
The above person, Alfred William Ashmall, was an actor married to Sarah Ann (Annie) Duckenfield.
On 13th Dec 1908, he died in the Forth and Clyde canal at Twechar.
When he married in 1872, he was married in the presence of William Crawford, musician, and Annie Cassels, actress.

Now I have two questions that need to be answered if anyone can help me?

1. Where would he appear as an actor? In local theatres, tv?

2. I have tried the newspaper archives to see if anything came up to him falling in the canal to no avail. I wondered if maybe someone on here would have more luck in finding any reports of him. I have his death certificate. He was 63 when he died, residing at Barrhill Rows in Kirkintilloch.

yours,
Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred William Ashmall died 1908 Twechar near Kirkintilloch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 September 13 07:35 BST (UK) »
Barrhill rows were in Twechar they were houses  built for miners etc and their families that worked for William Baird and co. My grandparents stayed in them. Jasiain :)

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred William Ashmall died 1908 Twechar near Kirkintilloch
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 September 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
In 1800/190s I would imagine he would have appeared at local theatres.  The Mitchell library in Glasgow, or Dunbartonshire library in Dumbarton may be able to help.. the newspapers around then (check at libraries) would have been the Evening Citizen,the Evening Times ,the Daily Record  archives. .  It is worth going into Lanarkshire  county in the roots forum . Maybe someone in Glasgow might be able to help.
Myyran.

Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland