Author Topic: FOSTERS of Tring  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Yorky Lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FOSTERS of Tring
« on: Tuesday 03 August 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have a Robert Foster b. circa 1887 in Tring. The 1891 census shows him as living in 33 Brook Street, Tring with his parents James and Elizabeth. Beyond that he seems to have disappeared, but I have a distant relative that tells he married an Amy Myers and emigrated to Canada to help clear the way for the British Columbian railway.

Is there anyone out there who could help me trace Roberts footsteps into the 20th Century.

Thank you

Yorky Lad

Offline Marton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fosters of Tring
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 August 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there ,this is my mothers uncle Bob , who married Amy, and went to Canada.I met them once only in 1960 whenI was at college.They lived in the Vancouver area I believe,not sure if it was on the mainland ,would love to know how we fit into this family, as James and Elizabeth were my gt. gt grandparents, my grandmother being Emily Foster who married John Deighton of Marsworth
Marton

Offline Yorky Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 August 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Marton

If you want to contact me via E-mail I have a copy of a marriage certificate between Robert Foster and Amy Lavinia Myers. They were married in October of 1912 in Vanvouver, Canada.

Offline Yorky Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have finally found Robert and his parents living in 3 King Street, Tring. The transcriber had transcribed their surname as FOSHE. What I would dearly love to know now is. Where was/is the paper factory in Tring where Robert and his three elder siblings worked and does it still exist. Any information would be most appreciated.

Yorky Lad

Offline Marton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again , if Robert is living with James and Elizabeth, I have  poor James in Leavesden Asylum at the time. The biggest factory in Tring was the "Silk Mills", where James had been a Canvas Weaver, and members of the family were Silk twisters  or Throwers.Thanks for your offer but dont know how to e-mail direct! I cant find Robert livivng in Tring that year as yet, there were paper mills  but not there --
didnt know Robert married in Canada!        Marton   

Offline canuck10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FOSTERS of Tring
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello:
I stumbled across this string while surfing. I am the grandson of Robert and Amy. They lived in a suburb of Vancouver, British Columbia  called Burnaby. They had three children, Robert, Joyce, and Muriel, all of whom married and had children of their own, most of whom are still living in the area.
Robert and Amy retired in Burnaby and stayed there until their passing.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 January 14 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Foster family "paper factory hands" may well have worked at the Aplsey paper mills.

Apsley rail station is only (now) 2 local stops from Tring, and opposite the old paper site.
(At the moment I cannot think of a closer paper factory)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline canuck10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 January 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
We have our grandfathers, Robert Foster, birth certificate. The home address on it is
33 Brook Street, Tring. Mother is Elizabeth Priest. Birth date is Jan 10th 1885. Father James
was a canvas weaver.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 January 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

James & Elizabeth still at that address in 1891 with 7 children in total (2 after Robert)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).