Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 110281 times)

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #594 on: Monday 16 June 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
An exciting find, makes family history so much more interesting, lets hope we can discover more about his life in Tasmania after being granted his freedom. :D

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: Monday 16 June 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you Maddie. I just noticed that I put April 1936 instead of April 1836 for the tried date. From looking at a map of Australia, Tasmania seems to be quite a large Island. I wonder how many Goodman people were living there already when John was released.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: Monday 23 June 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am pleased with the efforts of the Australian rootschat in trying to find information on John Goodman, convict, uncle of George b.1844. It is very kind of them to take the trouble to search on my behalf. It would make life a lot easier if only there were fewer John Goodman convicts in Australia, around that time. However, it appears that John born abt 1811 is likely to have died in Australia. At present it is a matter of trying to confirm whether he married and had children. Maddie has managed to find some information, which the Australian rootschatters are looking at, at present. It is especially fortunate that they have access to the Australian archives and various other pieces of information.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: Saturday 28 June 14 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all, John Goodman married Charlotte Winter on April 10th 1843 in Australia. Charlotte was Davis before she married William winter. Therefore she is named Charlotte Winter on the marriage cert. She had a daughter Mary Ann with William and a daughter Harriet with John. Harriet did go on to marry George Hayward. She died in 1907 aged 65yrs. There is some discrepancy with her age at marriage etc but isn't there always discrepancies where FH is concerned. John Charlotte and Mary Ann were all freed convicts. I wonder why Charlotte and John got married in an independent chapel as I believe his father Thomas had him baptized in Rickmansworth as C/E. Perhaps Charlotte was from an independent chapel. It is amazing how much has come to light with John since Maddie first spotted him as Thomas's son.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: Sunday 29 June 14 00:28 BST (UK) »
What an interesting piece of FH John has turned out to be, makes a change from a totally elusive Thomas. :D :D

Just a thought but I wonder if the fact that Charlotte was Welsh could have any bearing on where they married, particularly as it was a Chapel. :-\

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: Sunday 29 June 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you Maddie for your reply. I wondered about Charlotte's nationality. I believe Charlotte and her daughter were transported from Bristol. I wondered if she spoke English as I read somewhere that some of the welsh convicts were only able to speak in their own welsh language. I have posted re the different religion on the Oz board. Also that John married in 1843. I understood his daughter, Harriet, was 65 when she died in 1907, I made her birth abt 1840. I know that her marriage to George Hayward made her age far too young also. However, Not unusual to have differing ages as I well know.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #600 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all, with Maddie's help, once again, I now have identified children for Harriet Hayward (nee Goodman). Her mother, Charlotte, didn't speak English apparently on arrival to Tasmania. Maddie thinks that was why she may have married John in an independent chapel. It appears that Harriet and Charlotte's other daughter married much older men. I am really pleased to have found another son of Thomas and Zylpah. Now I am struggling with William born abt 1804, in Rickmansworth Hertfordshire. He appears as elusive as Thomas his father. If anyone has a spare William Goodman born 1804 I would be grateful for the chance to check him out. 

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: Saturday 30 August 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all, so the search for William born 1804, son of Thomas and Zylpah, has gone cold at present. While searching for Thomas' second wife, Mary's death, Maddie found a Mary Goodman who died in 1853. I searched the burial details at the library and it confirmed that this was not Mary Goodman (nee Pursler). Maddie realized that this Mary was in fact the daughter of James and Sarah. James was the father of my ancestor George born 1844. Therefore Mary is George's sister and she appears to have died unmarried at age 24yrs. I just ordered the death cert today although I am away for a week now. I hope to find the cert when I return. Lets hope it has some interesting detail in it. I was wondering why Mary was unmarried at 24 for instance. That would be old for the times, I guess. A big thank you to Maddie as once again I would have completely missed the connection.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: Thursday 11 September 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am pleased to say that the person present at Mary's death was Sarah Goodman which would have been her mother Sarah Goodman (nee Hansted/anstee). They lived at Woodcock Hill, Rickmansworth. The cert didn't mention a house number. Mary died from TB, just like my great grand father George, her brother.
I am now awaiting a death cert for her brother John Goodman. He was baptized 1836 at Rickmansworth, another son of James Goodman (the blacksmith). He married in Middlesex to a Elizabeth/Betsy Lavender. I believe he died in 1909, registered Uxbridge. I was reluctant to order the cert at first as the age is not correct. However, with the Goodman family's past record of not knowing their true ages, it is a likely to be John.