Author Topic: James Jobson - 1799 oldcastle  (Read 10623 times)

Offline davethepost

• RootsChat Extra
  • If it's too loud, you're too OLD!!!
    • View Profile
James Jobson - 1799 oldcastle
« on: Friday 23 November 12 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

1 am interested in Finding more about a James Jobson, Born 1799/ 1800 In Ireland, possibly in Oldcastle Co. Meath.

I know there were 4 Jobsons there in The 1855 Griffiths Valuation, and One Family in the 1901 and 1911 census.

This particular James moved to London before 1841 and all it says is that he came from Ireland.

Thanks Dave
Killick - London and jersey and kent
Lake - Norfolk (kings lynn and district)
Burton - Northants
Asher - Northants and bedford shire
Davis - Dorset and London

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Jobson - 1799 oldcastle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 12 09:18 GMT (UK) »
When you mentioned 'possibly Oldcastle' - is that based on the occurrence of  Jobson surname on Griffith's or are the other clues relating to county or town of birth from other records - e.g. English census returns ?

Do you have any family details, e.g. siblings, his father's name from a marriage cert ?
You would need to know what denomination your James was so you could check if parish records might be available.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

As far as I can see RC records for Oldcastle parish go back to the 1780s, but Church of Ireland records for the same area only go back to about 1814.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline davethepost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 12 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

I have don't know Religon of my James, I don't think it is mentioned on The English Census,

all I have is the fact that he says he was born in Ireland. There are only two Families on the Irish

Census 1901 and 1911. One in Oldcastle and the other in Lansdowne road, Dublin (bit rich for Us). and there are

two James Jobsons in Griffith Valuation in Oldcastle.

I don't have a marraige Cert, He Married before 1837 or any other Siblings.

I am just really glad to have finally found an Irish Grandad, even if it only means that I am 1 32nd Irish.

As the Name isn't Irish and there are so few in the country I just had a vague hope that someone else may be looking at that particular branch.
                                           Dave

PS My wife is Irish and She is so jealous of how easy it was to find all the Jobsons as she is investigating Whelans.

PS
Burton - Northants

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 12 12:40 GMT (UK) »
RootsIreland seem to have transcripts for both the RC and CofI parishes I mentioned, but a search of the free Index for possible Jobson baptisms around 1800 in Oldcastle shows no results - if these Jobsons were from Oldcastle then possibly they were Church of Ireland, so a little too early for the records available. The single Jobson household shown in Co. Meath on the 1901 census are Church of Ireland.

A search of the selection of Co. Meath records available on RootsIreland also shows no results, but not many of the parishes have records back to 1800..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 12 12:53 GMT (UK) »
slightly later and possibly tangential, but may be of interest - there's a few slightly later Jobson extracted civil records, which might be related:

Groom: William Oneill 
 Bride: Anne Jobson  age 19 (c 1837)
 Marriage date: 10 Sep 1856
 Groom's father: Thomas Oneill
 Bride's father: James Jobson
 (both single)

Groom: James Jobson
 Bride: Maria Oneill
 Marriage date: 12 May 1846
 Ref.: 0393

Groom: John Jobson
 Bride: Eliza Webb
 Marriage date: 23 Jun 1846
 Ref. : 0377

(since these marriages were registered before 1864, they were non-Catholic)

There are also a number of Jobson births after 1864, although these seem to be concentrated around Kilcock, Co. Kildare - see : Jobson births

plus a number of births where the mother's maiden name was Jobson - including several in the Oldcastle area - link

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline davethepost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 December 12 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

I have checked later census and My James lists Co. Meath as his birthplace in them, So I am pretty sure that he comes from the Oldcastle branch. Is there any burial records post 1812 for possible parents of James.

Thanks for your help

Dave
Burton - Northants

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 December 12 15:13 GMT (UK) »
....          I have checked later census and My James lists Co. Meath as his birthplace in them, So I am pretty sure that he comes from the Oldcastle branch. Is there any burial records post 1812 for possible parents of James.

Based on those civil marriages, this Jobson family were not RC.. if they were Church Ireland then the civil parish for Oldcastle is also called Oldcastle.

There are some death/burial records for this parish going back to 1814. Like most historic CofI records, these are held in the RCB (Representative Church Body) library in Co. Dublin. Note these will often be very basic - often just name and date of burial.

As far as I know death/burial records for Oldcastle CofI parish are not online anywhere - might be worth googling for Memorial Inscriptions etc

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Brenda53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane
Contacting from Australia.  My great-great-grandmother Anne Jobson married William O'Neill 10.9.1856 - both families were farmers from Clonfad, about 4 miles from Oldcastle, almost on the Cavan border.  Widowed Anne and 7 of her 9 children emigrated to Australia between 1882-1887.  Anne's father was James b.20.3.1819 and Elizabeth Wade b.1805 - married about 1831. Her siblings were Elizabeth, James, Emily, Margaret and Theresa.  Father James died 13.4.1895 and is buried at Oliver Plunkett graveyard. 

Anne's grandfather was Henry Jobson, married Frances, resided Lenon St, Oldcastle about 1854.  Henry died May 1859; Frances died 1854.  Their issue were Frances, Elizabeth, James, Margaret, Martha and Henry.

Have you established whether this family are related?

Regards

Brenda

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 11:51 GMT (UK) »
....My great-great-grandmother Anne Jobson married William O'Neill 10.9.1856 - both families were farmers from Clonfad, about 4 miles from Oldcastle,.....
Anne's grandfather was Henry Jobson, married Frances, resided Lenon St, Oldcastle about 1854.  Henry died May 1859; Frances died 1854.  Their issue were Frances, Elizabeth, James, Margaret, Martha and Henry.
Have you established whether this family are related?

I dont think Dave was able to locate any definite connections to those Jobsons in Oldcastle, e.g. the marriage details I posted,  as his branch left Ireland quite early, but it does seem likely there is a connection further back in time, as they appear to be concentrated in quite a small area.

Shane
My Surname Interests