Author Topic: James Pullinger Cakebread  (Read 6076 times)

Offline trevorc9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Pullinger Cakebread
« on: Tuesday 08 April 14 06:17 BST (UK) »
I am researching the history of my 2 x Great Grandfather James Pullinger Cakebread, In the 1841 Census he is listed as being born in Banbury Oxfordshire in about 1816, he was a Stone and Marble Mason, he married Martha Rymill on 26th December 1836 in Banbury and they had one son John Rymill Cakebread born on 5th March 1839. Martha died on 10th May 1848 in Banbury. James and Martha lived in Horse Fair Banbury. James remarried Elizabeth Walton in the parish of Tiverton County of Devon on April 12th 1849. On the 5th July 1849 James his second wife Elizabeth and son John sailed from London to Port Adelaide South Australia. I am interested in finding out more about James's Parents, on the marriage certificate when he married Elizabeth Walton James's Father is listed only as James Pullinger (no mention of Cakebread). I would appreciate any help/advice as to where I should direct my search too.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Pullinger Cakebread
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 06:50 BST (UK) »
Are SA death certificates the ones that don't name parents? If I remember correctly some do not, but it might be worth checking if you haven't already done so.

Have you looked for a baptism record for James in Banbury?

Considering the use of mother's maiden name for John Rymil, there could be a clue in the middle name of Pullinger. I may be wrong with this assumption, but I wonder if his father was also James Pullinger Cakebread but the marriage certificate simply omitted the surname?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

First, unfortunately 1841 census does not give place of birth, only whether it was in or out of thbe county where they are now living. So you wont be ablke to deduce he was born in Banbury specifically.  So you may have to widen tbe search for a christening for him.

One possible scenario is that he was illegitimate, mother surname Cakebread. But father was James Pullinger and she made tbat known to him.  Or altertnatively, another possible scenario is that he was a child of James and Mrs Pullinger . Dad died. And mum remarried to Mr Cakebread and the child took on stepfathers surname.
But there could be other possible scenarios too. Hopefully will be found with some research into Oxfordshire parish records.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trevorc9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie, you are correct I have James Pullinger Cakebread's Death Certificate and it does not list his parents. I have not been able to find a Baptism Certificate for James so far on line. I to wondered if the person writing out the marriage certificate was a bit lazy and did not include the Fathers complete name even though the title of the column on the certificate says Fathers Full Name!

Thanks lizdb, thanks for the welcome I agree that the 1841 Census only states his birth around 1816 in Oxfordshire, other family researchers have intimated to me he was born in Banbury but could not show me conclusive evidence. I like your possible scenario's regarding his father being listed as only James Pullinger and if this is the case it would introduce a fair bit of research as to what his circumstances were. 

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes welcome to Roots Chat, you will find so many helpful and very pleasant people in here so enjoy and good luck with your research.

I cannot see a baptism for your James with either surname in any of the Banbury PR's so this underpins Lizdb's theory which as she describes rather well is quite common.

I do see his marriage which is transcribed as taking place on 25 Dec 1836 at St Marys Church and he was a bachelor, she was spinster and they were botp. Wits; John Thomas and Ann Thomas.

I am off to take a deeper look at the various items I have and will be back if I find more for you

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1841 census it does appear as though Martha was not born in Oxfordshire. You may well know this but within each tiny piece of all these clues may be your answer so please do not think I am trying to teach you to suck eggs.

In 1842 and 1847 he is shown as a Stone Mason and Grave stone cutter at the Horsefair, Banbury
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
The transcribed Parish Records available from Oxfordshire Family History Society show that Martha was buried at St Marys, Banbury on 14 May 1848 aged 38.
The age fits with that entered in the 1841 census . Just another piece of the clues perhaps?
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
There is this which is a bit closer and it would not be a massive leap to get to James.
I cannot see the original document though - you would have to ask the Latter Day Saints out in Utah I think. Or may be the Oxfordshire Records Office at St Luke's, Cowley, Oxford - if they have a copy?

Name:    Josiah Cakebread
Baptism Date:    20 Feb 1816
Baptism Place:    Protestant Dissenters OR Presbyterian,Bloxham and Milton,Oxford,England
Father:    George Cakebread
Mother:    Mary
FHL Film Number:    0825365 (RG4 1721)
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is no baptism for Jemima in Bloxham or Milton or near by Adderbury - where did you get that information from?

Thomas Cakebread married Mary SNELSON at St Marys Church, Bloxham on 28 Feb 1780 after banns. They were bach and spin and both of that parish at the time of the wedding.The witnesses were Thomas Cakebread and James ....anngs.

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,