Author Topic: Oxfordshire Research - Parish records  (Read 14639 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Oxfordshire Research - Parish records
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 June 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
I agree its not as hard trawling through an unindexed transcribed set of parish registers as it is trawling through microfilm on readers where you have to keep turning a handle to move the film on & the films of parish registers don't have an index anyway & it would be a hard job with the same names being spelled so many different ways - oh well I suppose it keeps our brains active  :)

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline srstanley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello CD,
I am an American family historian, and recently, a new member of the Buckinghamshire Family History Society. My area of interest is Thame, and I have posted the following research request to the BFHS Members List. I see that you have been looking for access to The History of Thame, and I hope you found this record, or could help me find access to it as well.
Here is the background of my request to the Buckinghamshire Family History Society:

"Hello Fellow BFHS Members,

I see from the BFHS website that some of you have an interest in the Stanley family of Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire. So I am writing from America, to see if we could help each other, in our common research interests.

After 40 years of research (www.myheritage.com/site-70561601/lineage...ley-of-massachusetts), I am pursuing a new lead on the 17th C. English origin of Mathew Stanley/Standley, with some unexpected baptismal records offered by a Buckinghamshire genealogist/historian, who generously took the time to dig into some primary source material that I had seen referenced but not researched. The record is the first actual baptismal record for a Matthew Stanley, I've seen, with a birth date 02/11/1628, in Thame, Oxfordshire.

Thame is but a few miles (13) from the birthplace/homeplace of Mathew's American patron and neighbor, Zaccheus Gould, in Great Missenden, in the Aylesbury vale of Buckinghamshire, bordering Oxfordshire and Hertfordshire. The Putnams of Topsfield are also from this part of Buckinghamshire, and related to the Goulds, as are the Weedens, the Griggs, the Farringtons, Coopers, Tituses, and others, who also came to America in the same decade as the Goulds. I now have the image of the Thame baptismal record of Matthew Stanley, son of Ham(or Hamme) Stanley and Elizabeth Hawkins, born? and married in the adjacent community of Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire, in 1624.

We have also found a baptismal record for Elizabeth Stanley/Standley, b. 1630, to Ham and Elisabeth Stanley, and another son, Wm./William, father Ham, in 1642, in Thame. There is a death record for Ham "Hamme" Stanley,in 1667, in Thame.

The Buckinghamshire historian that found these records says there are no further Mathew Stanley/Standley/Stanly (marriage/death/land) records, which, of course, leaves her speculation that Matthew may have been taken as a child, or grown up and moved away, or immigrated, as a single young man with some of the 20-odd Buckinghamshire families that escaped from King Charles I and his Civil War, in Buckinghamshire and came to America, in the late 1630's and early 1640's.

Do any of your local English Stanley research or civic records have relevance to the above? Also, are you aware of any current Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire Stanleys, that may have ancestral records, or even DNA tests done, that might be shared? Any help greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
The Rev. Stephen R. Stanley (*)
Roanoke, VA USA, 9th generation descendant and historian of Mathew Stanley/Stanley (1628? England -1686 Topsfield MA, USA)"

I am most grateful for any response, and would gladly make a contribution to assist the Thame Historical Society, if that is possible.

Best Regards,

The Rev. Stephen R. Stanley

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 May 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen, and welcome to RootsChat!

The discussion you have just joined dates back to 2014, and matters have progressed since then.  Almost all of the extant Oxfordshire parish records, complete with the original images, have been available on Ancestry since 29 September 2016.

Matthew Stanley's baptism record is there, but the date is 11 February 1628/9 - that is, 1628 in the old (Julian) calendar or 1629 in the new (Gregorian) calendar.
(You might notice that I write the names of months in full.  This avoids confusion between the US date format - mm/dd/yyyy - and UK format - dd/mm/yyyy.)

I hope that some of this will be helpful to you.

Regards,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 09 June 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi California Dreamin

As you know the parishes you want to dip into I can thoroughly recommend the parish register transcripts that OFHS have for sale on CD as I don't know where I would have been without the several that I have purchased over the years (granted when I purchased mine they were on fiche's) but I gather there is a lot more info on the CD's

All the very best

Phil
member 4711
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 June 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
there are a number of Oxfordshire records on Ancestry which is of course a pay site
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 June 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
There is a group on facebook = Nostalgic Thame & surrounding villages . they are very informative & helpful .

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 June 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi There

as for Ancestry being a pay site there is a way round that unless you live abroad as you should be able to get access to Ancestry Library edition at any local library & this version will be free of charge but can only be used in the libraries mores the pity. Or you could join the BMSGH & get a good discount on membership of Find My past & the discount is more than you would pay for membership of the BMSGH

All the very best

Phil
BMSGH member 16715

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 June 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
as for Ancestry being a pay site there is a way round that unless you live abroad as you should be able to get access to Ancestry Library edition at any local library & this version will be free of charge but can only be used in the libraries mores the pity.

Two points.

I live in Australia and have used Ancestry free of charge at local libraries here.  (I believe the same is true of New Zealand, but can't speak for other parts of 'abroad'.)  The Library edition contains Ancestry's worldwide data, not limited to the country you're in, which was ideal for me as I only want English records.

Yes, you do have to use the library's own terminals to view records, but you use the 'save' button to email each one to yourself as you find it.  It's easy to do and then the images are yours forever.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 June 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Well I've learned something today as I never realised that Ancestry library edition was free in Australia & New Zealand so thank you for letting me know about that

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell