Author Topic: Weller  (Read 3582 times)

Offline piddington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah & William
    • View Profile
Weller
« on: Thursday 18 September 14 02:11 BST (UK) »

I am having a bit no a lot of trouble tracing my Weller family, what I know so far or at least believe to be is my 7th great grandmother is Mary Weller baptised 18 Jan 1719 in Benson Oxfordshire to Joseph Weller and Sarah unknown. I have her marriage to Richard Coles and their children. Where the trouble starts is with her parents mainly who is her mother ?

From family search I have a Joseph Weller baptised 31 Jul 1691 at Saint Giles Oxford father Ethelbert Weller. Again I have no mothers name

From Family Search there is a Ethelbert Weller baptised 16 Nov 1673 Saint Giles, Oxford father Ethelbert again no mother.

any help with marriages or information on these Wellers would me a great help

Carolyn   ;D
Piddington from Buckingham, Hopkins from Tillington & Petworth, Sussex and Ontario Canada, Hooper from Channel Islands, Greatrix or Gratrix, Bristow, Watchorne, Poole and Heron from Lincolnshire, England and Hastings and Simcoe Co, Ontario. Oak, Whitehorn, Jago from Devon & Hampshire, Mason, Coleman & Peake From Portsmouth & Portsea

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Weller
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn

I reckon thats a bit of a leap geographically from Benson into Oxford. Now I have a few from around the county who went off to Oxford and got married but what about this one from the OFHS Marr Index 1538 -1837;

5 Oct 1710 Joseph Weller of Warborough married at Dorchester to Sarah Allin of Warborough

Have look at this one and see if there is a connection?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline piddington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah & William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 14 23:00 BST (UK) »

;D Thank You Nigel
   This marriage looks good and Dorchester is only three miles from Benson. Its also the right time line for the first Child born to my Joseph and Sarah. Now I just need the Ethelbert Weller"s marriage. Your brilliant thank you.

Carolyn  ;D
Piddington from Buckingham, Hopkins from Tillington & Petworth, Sussex and Ontario Canada, Hooper from Channel Islands, Greatrix or Gratrix, Bristow, Watchorne, Poole and Heron from Lincolnshire, England and Hastings and Simcoe Co, Ontario. Oak, Whitehorn, Jago from Devon & Hampshire, Mason, Coleman & Peake From Portsmouth & Portsea

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 September 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Carolyn

Ethelbert's marriage ask and ye shall get .... or something like that....

Ethelbert Weller married Elizabeth Baldwin on 7 May 1617 at St Giles Church, Oxford

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Carolyn
Just looked at St Giles PR's and nothing in there for more info on Ethelbert nor Elizabeth in regard to baptisms nor wedding info.
Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline piddington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah & William
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
  Hi Nigel
    Thanks for the marriage for Ethelbert. I'm not sure where exactly that marriage fits. Joseph Weller son of Ethelbert was baptised 1691. Ethelbert his Joseph's father was baptised 1673 his father was also Ethelbert. I know that marriage in 1617 must belong somewhere in my tree. It may be Ethelbert seniors marriage, if so then he was elderly when his son Ethelbert was baptised and most likely there is more children. I'll keep plugging away at this family as thanks to you I am making some progress  ;D. Thanks again

Carolyn

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolyn

I was just looking for some more info which may help you and found this;

The ONLY entry in the Oxfordshire Marriage Index 1538 -1837 for an Ethelebert Wellar (or spelling variants) is the one I gave you before.

There are also these which may be of use to you;

1. JOSEPH WELLER married to Elizabeth KERBYE on 3 Nov 1672 at St Peter Le Bailey, Oxford

2. JOHN WHELLAR married to Margaret BURROWS on 6 Feb 1698 at St Peter Le Bailey, Oxford

3. JOSEPH WHELLAR married to Ellis ROUGHT on 6 May 1744 at St Thomas, Oxford

There are more Carolyn but these fit your current time line better. I have the PR's for each church if one takes your fancy or even if you want a look up of each - let me know?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline piddington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah & William
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 September 14 00:17 BST (UK) »

Thank You once again Nigel. These Weller's are rather elusive bunch and your help is much appreciated. The farther back I go the harder it gets. I'll surely need another lookup sooner or later and will then take you up on your kind offer.

Carolyn