Author Topic: Ystradgynlais Birth Records  (Read 4769 times)

Offline llangatwg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ystradgynlais Birth Records
« on: Wednesday 12 January 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Been endeavouring to find  a Birth Cert for William Jones born 1859 in Ystradgynlais.  I have been told his birth was not registered.  His father was David Jones from Llancwnlle Cardiganshire and his mother was Margaret? from Llansardwrn Carmarthenshire.  I believe the family lived in Water Street then College Row.  The Church would have been St Cynogs.  Could anybody please help to find out what William's mothers maiden name could have been.  Many thanks

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ystradgynlais Birth Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 January 11 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Have you tried to get a birth certificate for one of the other children? I found several on the 1861 census  :)

John Jones age 13 born Myydfai, Carms ?
Thomas Jones age 10 born Ystradgynlais
Margaret Jones age 8  born Ystradgynlais
David Jones age 4 born Ystradgynlais
William Jones age 2 born Ystradgynlais

RG9 Piece 4089 Folio 17 Page 27

or Daniel age 9 at the same address in 1871
RG10 Piece 5434 Folio 8 Page 7

A Baptism record probably won't give Magaret's maiden name so you either need her marriage certificate or details from the Parish Register, or a birth certificate for one of her children.

Not sure whether you know that Ystradgynlais is one of those places which is on the border between 2 counties, in this case Breconshire and Glamorganshire, so the birth may have been registered in a different county. You have enough information from 1861 to try to get the birth certificate for William ~(address, parent's names, David occupation, etc).

modified - College Row was in Gurnos Parcel of Ystradgynlais. Registration district would have been Neath, Glamorgan

Best wishes
Morgan

Offline jbatty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ystradgynlais Birth Records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 December 13 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Please tell me more about the William Jones from Ystradgynlais who you are researching? Would he have married a Rachel Morris and lived on Pelican Street during the 1891 census? If so, he would be my great-grandfather. Please reply to me at (*) Jan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php