Author Topic: Campbell marriage 1868 Forman & Campbell  (Read 3639 times)

Offline shades

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Campbell marriage 1868 Forman & Campbell
« on: Thursday 11 October 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my Campbell relatives, My Great Great Grandmother Ann Campbell. father Myles Campbell came from County Clare and married her Husband George Forman who was in the 52nd regiment of the army, they married in Limerick. I have no other information and need some help please.

Offline shades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell marriage 1868 Forman & Campbell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
In the uk census records it states that she was born in County Clare and when i checked the marriage in the army records it states her father as Myles Campbell. Further checks on different sites i have come across only 2 myles campbells
1) Ireland Tithe Applotment books 1823-1837 - Myles Campbell County Clare Parsh Feakle townland Lackaroongary 1827 Kildavin.

2) Tenant Myles & James Campbell - Landlord Hugh Gore Edwards. County Tyrone, Barony Clogher, Townland - Lurganaglare.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
what is the occupation for Myles on the marriage cert, and the residence for Anne ?

Tithe records dont include everyone - for example these dont include towns and cities..

You would need to know the denomination and parish for your Campbell family to check if there are any records available.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Very few parish records for Co. Clare are online. See the Co. Clare resources for useful links for the county.

do you have a year of birth for Anne ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
Anne was born in 1849, and there is no occupation for the father, or address for Anne. I thought that if i could find out where in Limerick her husband was based, it might open up some leads. Or would it be better to just apply for the marriage certificate, but dont know where i would apply for this.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 October 12 09:52 BST (UK) »
I would treat 1849 as an estimate of her year of birth - the only reliable source is a birth or baptism record (only a baptism will be available in this case). Ages on census returns, death certs etc are not always accurate, so you generally need to allow a couple of years either way when searching.

These are the references you need to order a cert :

Name: George Forman
  Registration district: Limerick
  Event type: Marriage
  Registration year: 1868
  Volume: 15 / Page : 259

An Ann Campbell appears with the same references, so a possible bride. Marriage certs sometimes include ages, but it's often recorded as 'full' - i.e. 21 or older.

A cert will provide a few additional clues - see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
   Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane

.....there is no occupation for the father, or address for Anne.

p.s. I think the record you have at the moment is probably the extracted record from FamilySearch. These contain just some of the details. See :

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGZR-6BK
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 October 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, i will look into those links :) .

Offline Epsom

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 August 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I am looking for some information about George Forman And Ann Campbell too as they are my husband's great great grandfather and grandmother. Did you find out what occupation she held? My husband thinks George's father was a gardener. As his mum was a King, there could have been a King George in this family too  ;)
It is my first search in genealogy and I am very pleased I came across someone who is related to our family  :)
I am happy to exchange information if you need. We have a little bit of data about their children and Annie Forman's family as her daughter was my husband's grandmother.
Best regards