Author Topic: irregular marriages at Lamberton toll  (Read 49618 times)

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
irregular marriages at Lamberton toll
« on: Thursday 26 October 06 00:55 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to these? I am really desperate! Also I would love to know the dates these cover.

Many Thanks,

Geoff
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: irregular marriages at Lamberton toll
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 06 02:51 BST (UK) »
Geoff,

A search on RootsChat for Lamberton Toll gets several hits - they might contain information of use to you.

Regards,

JAP

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 06 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

I can access Lamberton Toll marriages 1833 - 1849.

I can also access Berwick Advertiser Irregular Marriages 1808 - 1864.

Who are you looking for?

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 October 06 20:51 BST (UK) »
Helen you are a gem! These are they:
James Charters to Elizabeth Brown ca 1831.
Robert Stothers (various spellings) to Elizabeth Brown ca. 1843
James Brown to Mary (?) ca. 1825

If you have access to the Berwick data then these too would be helpful:
John Brown to Elizabeth McPherson 8/14/1828
Margaret Brown to Hugh Chrisp 12/27/1818
Isabella Brown to John McNab 11/19/1830

Thanks very much,

Geoff
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff

Sorry, there are none of these marriages recorded in the records I have access to.

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
Helen,
Sorry to butt into this topic but I am sure the irregular marriages will be of interest to several people.
Can I please ask you to look up the irr., marriage of a Michael Clyne and Rebecca [Higgins, Docherty, Cleghorn]? I have included all the surnames I have found her under in different certificates. I have their children born c1852 and 1857. Apart from the R.C. church, Berwick entries the only other information I can find for them is in the 1881 census when Michael was in Hatters Lane, Berwick and Rebecca was with her daughter in Eyemouth. I will be so grateful for any information you can find although I don't hold out much hope!
Thanks in anticiption,
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 October 06 13:51 BST (UK) »
I also apologise for butting in :) - but what are "irregular marriages"?  Is it a Scottish thing?

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 October 06 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for trying, Helen. It was a forlorne hope I suppose but I am at a dead end. For the newer posters, an irregular marriage was performed in Scotland in much the same way Gretna Green became famous for; rules were not quite as strictly enforced as in England, and it was cheaper as banns were not required. Working class folks near the border found it a paticularly useful procedure. Lamberton Toll and Coldstream were popular sites in the East.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 October 06 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth

Yes 'irregular' marriages are a Scottish thing.
Historically when Scotland became a Protestant nation for various reasons the Church of Scotland was the Established church and anyone marrying outside this was considered to have embarked on an 'irregular' marriage.

That is only part of the story though.

Marriage in Scotland is considered a contract and those who declared their intention to marry before witnesses could be considered married without any religious ceremony or blessing of the clergy.
A couple who lived together as man and wife and behaved in all ways as a married couple could also be considered as married without any ceremony or formal agreement.
Naturally the established church did not like it when folks set up house without their approval but the law of the land not only permitted it but also would uphold their rights in a court of law.

There's a fascinating book about it called 'Promises, Promises' written by Leah Leneman. Published by NMS enterprises in 2003.
ISBN No 1-901663-52-3.
The book covers litigation 1698-1830 but it was only recently that all Scots laws on marriage were brought into line with England & Wales.
Its a fascinating read!
There are other factors like the age of consent and residency which play a part too but it starts to get too complicated.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.