Author Topic: Looking for Auntie Betty  (Read 11283 times)

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Auntie Betty
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 March 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Aberdeenshire library service have archives of the P&J in their headquarters building. As far as I'm aware, these are held on microfiche and you have to make an appointment to go and look. At least that was the procedure the last time I was looking for something a few years ago.

I was in the Aberdeen Public Library a couple of weeks ago. They have the P and J on microfilm, not microfiche, and they fetched me the film I wanted without advance notice, and ten minutes before closing time.

Was that the central library along from His Majesty's?
Last time I was looking for something was a few years ago, so the procedure has obviously changed in that time.

I live just round the corner from the headquarters in Oldmeldrum, so it's easy for me to get there.
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 31 March 14 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Best place to look for a nurse is here I have been dealing with them for the last couple of months could not be more helpful.

http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 March 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Was that the central library along from His Majesty's?

Yes.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 March 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
Rowan. A copy would be fantastic. My library's computers have been down since Friday.They are going to ring me when they are back up and running so we can  have a look and see what papers can be accessed. They do have ancestry and find my past which i should be able to get at home through my library card.
          Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 18:03 BST (UK) »
Carol,
Sorry I have not got back to you for a while. Other things kind of got in the way!

Anyway, I went into the Aberdeenshire Library headquarters last week, and I'm sorry to report that they don't have the particular information that we're looking for. However, the good news is that the library in Aberdeen (as posted by Forfarian) DO have a copy. I hope to be in Aberdeen some time next week, so I'll pop in and see what they've got.

As has been said already, the NHS records are held by Aberdeen University Special collections, and confidential records are closed for 75 or 100 years. However it also says -
"NHS Grampian Archives provides public access to historical records of hospitals and health organisations in the north-east of Scotland. Records of particular interest to family historians include:

Hospital administrative and staff records containing information on managers, medical, nursing and other healthcare staff"

Acess is by apointment only, but as I will be practically passing the door anyway, I may just drop in and ask in general terms what is available.

Watch this space - But don't hold your breath ! !

Jim

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 08:26 BST (UK) »
Carol,
I've got a copy of the bit from the Press & Journal.
I've sent you a pm.

Jim

Offline Countryquine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 May 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Is the lady still alive?  If not, you may be able to find her death in scotlandspeople website, which would give you a date.   Then with the date, it may be possible to find a death announcement in the Press and Journal - very often you will find that the death notice will contain detail of where the person worked if they did something in the community where they were well-known.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 May 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
She is not alive.I do not think there would be a death notice as she did not have many relies alive at the time she died. But i guess my mum must have found out somehow!!!!!. Only have 2 credits left on sp. Still waiting for my library to get back to me so will persue this next week.
                                      Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.