Author Topic: Tameside Burial Records  (Read 28391 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Tameside Burial Records
« on: Wednesday 29 January 14 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I've been using the Tameside Burial and Cremation records on http://web.tameside.gov.uk/BACAS/ but i've noticed that all the older records seem to have disappeared! All the results I am getting are for Dukinfield Crematorium and when I repeat searches for people I have previously found, nothing is coming up for them. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?
I have sent them a message to ask what is going on - it may be that they don't know that there is an issue - so when I get a response I will post on here. (Also posted on the Cheshire board due to the county overlap.)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tameside Burial Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked on http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html  some records on that site give the grave plot and number ...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi - yes I use that site a lot. It's just that the Tameside one *used* to cover a lot of cemeteries and crematorium, whereas that site is mainly church graveyards.

It is supposed to cover Hyde Cemetery, Mossley Cemetery, Mottram Cemetery, Droylsden Cemetery, Ashton Cemetery, Audenshaw Cemetery, Denton Cemetery as well as Dukinfield Cemetery and Crematorium. So it is quite odd for it now to only be showing the Dukinfield entries, despite still giving the others as options to select. I've just tested one of the other locations - as I have previously found a Mary Marshall buried in Hyde Cemetery in 1901, this entry is no longer coming up.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of problem on the site. I haven't used it for a while and I noticed the other day that the search form had changed a bit, and now you don't have to specifiy a number of records to return (as it was a pain to only go up to 30 records if there was a possiblity of there being more than that and not being able to bring them all up.) So perhaps when they were updating things something went awry!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I suspect that they might be put on a pay site in the future :(

Is there a particular one that you need to look at now?

Heather

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Mmm I would not be very happy if they did that!

No nothing major, I just usually do a search for some of the people on distant branches on my tree and often search for people like my Dad's parents who I know were cremated at Dukinfield to see if their records have been added yet (both cremated in 1975 and neither of them come up) and was just a bit confused to see it wasn't working properly! Wondered if anyone knew something I didn't - I would have thought that if they were removing them in order to change it into pay-per-view type thing that they would have put up a message about it? Or is that just too simple?

???

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 13:46 GMT (UK) »
They have responded to say that they have an ongoing problem with the online records which is being investigated and they hope to resolve the issue as soon as they can.

I will keep my eye on it over the next few days, see if it gets resolved soon.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Mary Marshall grave 2817
aged 29
If you pm me the name, I will see if I can find them for you?

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Julie - PM on it's way.

Offline Pat38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hello
I was just wondering if you found out where the rest of the Tameside Burials had gone?
I used that site a couple of years ago and found the Grave of Henry Noke & Mary Ann Brierley Herod in Ashton Cemetery. Today there is only Dukinfield Cemetery on that site.
Thanks
Pat Berry
~~~~~~~~

Hi - yes I use that site a lot. It's just that the Tameside one *used* to cover a lot of cemeteries and crematorium, whereas that site is mainly church graveyards.

It is supposed to cover Hyde Cemetery, Mossley Cemetery, Mottram Cemetery, Droylsden Cemetery, Ashton Cemetery, Audenshaw Cemetery, Denton Cemetery as well as Dukinfield Cemetery and Crematorium. So it is quite odd for it now to only be showing the Dukinfield entries, despite still giving the others as options to select. I've just tested one of the other locations - as I have previously found a Mary Marshall buried in Hyde Cemetery in 1901, this entry is no longer coming up.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of problem on the site. I haven't used it for a while and I noticed the other day that the search form had changed a bit, and now you don't have to specifiy a number of records to return (as it was a pain to only go up to 30 records if there was a possiblity of there being more than that and not being able to bring them all up.) So perhaps when they were updating things something went awry!
Higgins, Griffin, Duffy, Comer, Donnelly, Hearne, Henry, Woodside, Hague, Greaves, Davison, Mooney, Rockley, McKenna, Byrne, Berry & Barnacle.