Author Topic: Help wanted locating Walker and Stevenson families  (Read 5244 times)

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help wanted locating Walker and Stevenson families
« on: Saturday 07 January 12 02:42 GMT (UK) »
My ggrandfather John Stevenson was born the son of John Stevenson ,a farm grieve and Janet Walker . He was born around 1825. His later census data has him born at Howford , Peebles.

Janet had been born on 29 June 1803 ,the daughter of James Walker ploughman of Kings Meadow and Katherine
I believe James Walker and Cathrine or Kathrine Watson her parents had married on July 23 1802 in Eddleston, Peebles.

I found a death mentioned for a John Stevenson on May 1 1827 at Traquair  . I wonder if there might be newspaper death notices or MI inscriptions available
  ???
John and Janet married at Eddlestone on  21 May 1821 and again at Peebles on 8 June 1821.

Only two sons Robert [25 August 1822, Peebles, Peebles] and James [22 Feb 1824 ] appear to have been christened

Then they all vanish from trace except for my John. Can anyone help?

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted locating Walker and Stevenson families
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Julia,

Where is John born 1825 in the census starting with 1841 so I can have a look and see if I can help in any way.
I can see him in the 1871 and 1881 census and he is in Stirling.  Is it possible he moved up there young?  Do you have his marriage and if so does it say his mother and father are deceased?

Barbara

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 12 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately he married MargaretTaylor prior to civil marriages but I found they had married twice .Neither mention deceased parents but likewise they don't record them alive

The Scottish one on 11 November 1849 says he's a wellwright in Glasgow the other in Ireland was when I think he was serving in Ireland at the time of the Irish famine. They then spent time abroad. One son was born enroute to Corfu

Margaret died of cancer in the Military Hospital, Stirling Castle on May 7 1866. She was the daughter of Campbell Taylor and Ann Pearson

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 12 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia,

They didn't marry twice, that is the banns being read in the different parishes the bride and groom were from.  So where were the Banns read for John and Margaret Taylor? 

Barbara

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 January 12 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Cannot see any MI for a John Stevenson at Traquair.   Of course he might have been buried elsewhere or just not had a headstone. 

Brina

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 January 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know that I have also checked Innerleithen and Peebles for you too but no luck.   

Brina ???

Offline JuliaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 12 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Brina. Its a real mystery what happened to them. Thanks for all your help