Author Topic: Griffith Jones, Catherine Jones  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Paz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Griffith Jones, Catherine Jones
« on: Saturday 02 February 08 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Catherine is my gr.grandmother.  On the 1871 census her birthplace is given as Landinoworich, Carmarthenshire(?).   For long enough I thought it was Caernarvan and it may be at that.  Has anyone heard of this place?   Griffith was her father.   She was born in 1837/1838.   Any info re her birthplace would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paz
Researching:  Hands in Sussex, Surrey and Durham; Gill in Liverpool. Wallasey and Burscough; Forshaw in Burscough and Lathom, Lancs., Matthias in London; Bray in Yorkshire and Lancashire; Charnick in London; Cliff in Yorkshire, Perren, Kempf

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith Jones, Catherine Jones
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 08 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paz,

There's certainly a Llandinorwic in Caernarvonshire, but I don't know of one in Carmarthen, or any other place that it could be.

http://www.heneb.co.uk/arfonnorth/arfon3.html
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Paz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 08 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply.   Could you also tell me  the name that would be given to this village on an early census?

Many thanks, once again.

Paz
Researching:  Hands in Sussex, Surrey and Durham; Gill in Liverpool. Wallasey and Burscough; Forshaw in Burscough and Lathom, Lancs., Matthias in London; Bray in Yorkshire and Lancashire; Charnick in London; Cliff in Yorkshire, Perren, Kempf

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 08 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't help there, but someone on the Wales General board or the Caernarvon board would probably know.

:)
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Paz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 08 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I'll try them.

Offline garethaston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 10 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any dates for Griffith and Catherine? I may be able to help
Regards
Gareth

Offline Paz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Gareth.   Catherine was born in  1838 and her father Griffith  c.1810 at Llanllyfni.  Hi wife was Elinor Thomas.   They had at least six children:  Catherine, Thomas, Owen, Mary, John, and Griffith.  They lived in Llandinoworic.   I have found this since I sent in my query.   I don't know if there's much more information available, but anything you can come up with will be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Paz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 January 10 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Gareth.   Catherine was born in  1838 and her father Griffith  c.1810 at Llanllyfni.  he married Elinor Thomas.   They had at least six children:  Catherine, Thomas, Owen, Mary, John, and Griffith.  They lived in Llandinoworic.   I have found this since I sent in my query.   I don't know if there's much more information available, but anything you can come up with will be greatly appreciated.  Incidentally, I should like to go to these places.   Does Llandinoworic still exist with the same name?  I can't find it on Google maps.

Many thanks again,

Pam