Author Topic: Alexander Robertson and Jane Spence (Aberlour, Grange Banff)  (Read 13974 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Robertson and Jane Spence (Aberlour, Grange Banff)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
I found two registrations for the same birth, one at Chapel of Garioch in Aberdeen and the other at Cathcart/Lanark. It would appear they registered his birth on Oct 13 at Garioch, then 3 days later at Cathcart. It looks like they moved within days of the initial registration. The first registration was even included on the second one. Was it common to register more than once?

If a birth occurred outside the district where the parents' usual residence was, the birth had to be registered where it took place, and the Registrar there then had to forward the details to the Registrar in the district of the parents' usual residence, where it would then be re-registered. This was quite normal, and in fact required by law.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimrob3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Another Robertson looking for his roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 July 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
I know anything is possible but on the first marriage certificate it lists his father's occupation as 'confectioner'.  That means he either went from being a farmer or  mason's labourer  to making sweeties - sounds a bit odd to me.

Yes, a very good point Jenny. I wondered about that myself. I do know that both my grandfather and his father 'sold' sweets...didn't 'make' them. It's possible he got a job as a salesman which moved him from the country to work nearer to the larger city of Glasgow. I'm not exactly sure how jobs were come by back then, or what made people move away from their birthplace, but I'm assuming it happened like it does now, so that could be a possibility. Wish I had some living relatives to ask.

Does anyone else have a thought about this? I'd be curious if someone knows a little about people moving away for work, leaving farms, etc. My understanding was that people pretty much stayed near their home, but there would be migration all over the place as well for various reasons. Once again, I'd hate to be barking up the wrong tree...so to speak.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 July 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
There was quite a drift of folk from the countryside to the towns at that time. It was common, for example, for a farm worker to get a job as a carter or vanman in a town as he was still working with horses. It was not unusual for people to have a series of seemingly unrelated jobs. You have certainly got the correct family here.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 July 14 20:32 BST (UK) »
Ah ha! I have smoked out Thomas Robertson in the earlier censuses.

1841 at Allachrow, Knockando, Moray:

Robert Robertson, "30", farmer
Frances Robertson, "25"
Thomas Robertson, "15"
Helen Robertson, "15"

1851 at Allachrow, Knockando, Moray:

Robert Robertson, 40, farmer of 50 acres, born Grange
Thomas Robertson, 23, farmer's brother employing 1 man, born Aberlour
Grace Robertson, 26, farmer's sister, born Aberlour,
James Edwards, 11, farm labourer, born Boharm

These entries show up Robert for the first time. In 1861 he is married to a Helen - still at Allachrow. They also show the twin, Helen, in 1841, and the sisters, Frances and Grace.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 July 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Libindx says Robert Robertson died at Allachrow, Elchies, 22-4-1885, aged 77. His wife, Helen, died High Street, Archiestown, Knockando, 11-8-1909, aged 92.

Offline jimrob3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 July 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
That's amazing!

I'm a little confused by all the names...but like you said, they could have been going by grandparents names, and varying ages. The first list of siblings you posted included Fife Duff, Francais, Mary and George. They, however don't appear in the last lot. Same family? Different?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 July 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
The 1841 and 1851 censuses in my last post shows your Thomas. He had an older brother, Robert, born in Grange, whose baptism wasn't recorded. Robert took out the lease of the farm at Allachrow and Thomas, Frances and Helen went to live with him. Thomas would have worked on the farm and, as Robert was not married, Frances and Helen would have kept house and done the "women's work".

In 1851, Thomas was still working for Robert along with a hired boy. Helen is not there (perhaps she has married), but their sister Grace is now keeping house.

Thomas was still working for Robert at Allachrow in January 1852, because he came 4th in a ploughing match at Easter Elchies on the 7th of that month (Elgin Courant).

Offline jimrob3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 July 14 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hey GR2!

Thanks to all your help. Look what I found, using the leads you provided. It seems to confirm everything you've uncovered.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=malgarden&id=I029787

It would appear that any record of Alexander's parents are difficult to find. I discovered along the way that there had been a fire in the parish which destroyed years of records. That would explain the lack of info. Any suggestions?

I really do appreciate all your help, and obvious interest in tracking down that information for me. 

Jim

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 July 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
It's difficult to go back further in the Robertson line. As you now have the names of Jane Spence's parents, that might give a clue. If they followed the "traditional" naming system, the first daughter would be called after the mother's mother (Mary) and the second son after the mother's father (Robert). That is the case here. If they stuck to this, the first son would be called after the father's father and the second daughter after the father's mother. That would suggest Alexander's parents were James and Frances. However, there is no guarantee at all.

The 1841 census says Alexander was born in Banffshire. If there were any Robertson witnesses at the baptisms of the children, especially the earlier ones, that might provide further clues.