Author Topic: Tottenham Court Road 1871  (Read 3734 times)

Offline keera

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tottenham Court Road 1871
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 September 05 09:39 BST (UK) »
Whilst the Tottenham  Court Ro "Page" is open can you please look up any Bassetts. They were there in 1825.! Maybe a forlorn Hope!
Thank you for any help you can give.
Regards Keera
Barnes & Cozens Lacock, Chippenham Wiltshire
Munro Macrae (Dingwall Scotland)
Middlemiss,(Berwick on Tweed Blackford Scotland)
Paterson (Stirling Scotland)
Parker & Page (Attleborough Northumberland)
Fowler, Patey & Bassett (London)
McInnes &McColl (Lismore & Stirling)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 September 05 10:56 BST (UK) »
At that time it was common practice for employees to live on the premises, "living over the shop", this is probably why there are so many people listed in the census.
Meliora

Meliora, that's what I thought, but it's not obvious which shop it is.  The majority of them seem to be linen drapers, with a mixture of furnishing salesmen. 

There's a
Robert Davison 31, Linen Draper born Ireland Down.
Robert Sunis 21 Linen Draper born Dorset Blandford
Robert Metcalf 21 Porter born Cam Gorfield
Robert Shears 20 Linen Draper Surrey Adalestone
Robert Belram 21 Linen Draper Huntingdon Bluntisham
Robt. J Whitchurch 19 Linen Draper Hants Fonthampton
Robert B McDonald 15 Cashier Ireland Dublin
Robert Sinton 20 Linen Draper Scotland Peebles

Keera, sorry no Bassetts listed on that Volume.  Perhaps you could start a new topic and give names and ages and as much information as you have and we could do a wider search.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 September 05 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi MaryA/Meliora,

Thanks for all the info. However, it's definitely Roberts in the diary, and as David J. was born in Wales (where my research is centred, and from where my grandfather originated) I'm going with him as 'my' Roberts. I seem to remember in previous research that in one source 156 Tottenham Court Road was described as a 'linen factory'.

I presume my grandfather met David J, along with many, many more Welshmen/women who had 'emigrated' to London in one of the Welsh churches in the capital which he attended and at which he played the organ/harmonium.

Many, many thanks

Regards

Quarryman

PS I have posted this earlier today but it appears not to have made it to the 'board'
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.