Author Topic: Master Mariners  (Read 21442 times)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariners
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 March 12 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat!

Two successes - how wonderful!  ;D

So, as they're in the Captain's registers, you should be able to get the career details - Master Certificates and such like - via the LMA  http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/Events/LloydsCaptainsRegisters.htm  These should also give you many other details - such as the ships they were on,  when they were born, where and when they passed their exams etc - and be able to work out a timeline of where they went, on what vessel and when.  Once you have the ships names, you will also have the ships Official Numbers (you'll see it written as O.N. in some places) and will be able to track most, if not all, via various websites, newspapers and other archives. You may even be able to get images of some of them from various places. Let's know when you get to that point and I, and other's, can point you in the right direction and/or help.

Lucky you!!

Regards
Ann

Offline Ecila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 March 12 15:03 GMT (UK) »
This site is amazing :) I also have an ancestor whose occupation was master mariner. I have just found him on the captain's register. Thank you.

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 March 12 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh! How lovely! I envy you both! Thoroughly enjoyed researching my mariners!

Don't know if either of you can get in to London at all, but I have to say the big dusty old ledgers that hold the new Master's names are a joy to behold if you can.  I burst into tears when I first saw my 2x great grandfather's name listed there when they were held at the Guildhall library.  Oh, I know it's only a ledger, but knowing that that bit of writing was contemporary with him and knowing what he'd gone through to get to that position and get his name listed there and,  knowing what happened to him afterwards...I'm still choked just thinking about it.

Let us know how you get on and, if I can help looking for ships once you know them, no problem.

Regards
Ann

Offline pressingon

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 March 12 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann
Many thanks for your help. I just spoke to the archavist at LMA, very helpful but if you want them to do it it's £5 a page plus £12 handling fee  :o
So it will be a personal visit and I expect you can photograph the documents.
Thank you for your offer of further assiatance which I'm sure I will need  ;)
This site is the best  ;D
BRADLEY (Londonderry & Glasgow) GILLEN (Londonderry & Glasgow)
QUIGG (N.Ireland) LANE and BALLINGER (Gloucestershire)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 March 12 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Good grief! 

Ah well, if you can get there yourself, it's probably for the best anyway.  However, you might try ordering them through the maritime museum

http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/masters-certificates-request-form

Not sure how expensive that is, but I seem to recall going all the way there only to find I had to order them anyway, and they came a few weeks later. You should now have the details you need from the other list you looked at above.

Regards
Ann

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 March 12 18:20 GMT (UK) »
There are also records of service at TNA Kew in the series BT122
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/browser.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=1593&GPE=False&MARKER=0
Although LMA is your best bet, there may be extra info at Kew.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline pressingon

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 March 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks seaweed I will have to explore this avenue as well  :)
BRADLEY (Londonderry & Glasgow) GILLEN (Londonderry & Glasgow)
QUIGG (N.Ireland) LANE and BALLINGER (Gloucestershire)

Offline Ecila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 March 12 14:50 GMT (UK) »
hi everybody

ann - i know what you mean about seeing records about ancestors. I recently found my master mariner's grave stone. He is one of my g-g-g- grandfathers.
William Curtis 1807 - 1885. It was a very emotional moment. Sadly, i have found no birth record so the opportunity to find out more about his life is fantastic. Will keep you posted about ships etc when i have done my research.

A huge thanks to everyone for posting advice and tips.

ecila

Offline emaline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 April 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Records for my grandfather who was passed as a  Master Mariner in 1924.  I do have a copy of his certificate.

From what I have read, if I need these records, it means a trip to Kew or hire a researcher, They do not mean to make it easy for anyone, do they. 

This grandfather I never  knew about till about 2 years ago.  By sheer determination I have found he remarried as he was widowed and then lived Woolwich, London till he died 1946.  Since then I have made contact with his second family who never knew he had a previous marriage and family.  We are all in the dark as to his records and are having problems.  Freedom of Information Act was useless as they told me his Records cannot be released before 2030.  I will be well under the ground by then.

Any suggestions please?