Author Topic: Milltown Mills - Ballintotis (between Midleton & Castlemartyr)  (Read 2361 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Milltown Mills - Ballintotis (between Midleton & Castlemartyr)
« on: Friday 03 October 14 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find more information about the History of the Milltown Mills in Ballintotis as I believe my ancestors owned them from the 1850's to 1880's. It is confusing but there were two different Milltown Mills - one actually located in Midleton (up the Millroad) - that my family did not own and another Milltown Mills located about 3 miles from Midleton, I believe the house my ancestors lived in was called Milltown House in Clashduff. My Great x 3 Grandfather Michael Roche is listed as a Miller for Midleton area in the 1870's Cork Directory. I have his death cert and it says he died in 1876 in Milltown House, Clashduff. His son my Great Great Grandfather John Roche died in the same house in 1896.

I found a small bit of information on the Ballintotis community council website which states: "  Milltown Mills  - The Milltown Mills were flourishing in the mid 1800's. These mills were built about half a mile from the main Midleton to Youghal road, near Churchtown North and beside the Ballinona river. The mills started to decline in the 1880's.
In 1930's, Mick Clew Ballintotas and Tim O'Sullivan Milltown, dismantled part of the mills for the Cork County Council, who used the stones to widen the main Midleton to Castlemartyr road".

I also found another reference online in the "1849 Topographical Directory of Ireland' which states "within two miles of the town (Midleton) are the Milltown Mills, lately erected by Messrs, Swayne and Leech at an expense of 3000 pounds and manufacturing annually 12,000 barrels of fine flour"

This is all I can find - would anyone know of a local historian or local records where I could find more information on the property details and history of this Mill?