Author Topic: Looking for SAYLE and QUILLIAM family links  (Read 8448 times)

Offline wizunk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for SAYLE and QUILLIAM family links
« on: Saturday 19 December 09 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered my great great grandfather was Thomas QUILLIAM, born about 1842, a police sgt who served at Laxey police station in the early 1880's.   His wife was Eliza QUAYLE or similar.   One of his daughters, Hilda QUILLIAM married my great grandad John Robert SAYLE, born in about 1879.   

John and Hilda had 4 children, Victor SAYLE, born in 1902, my dad's father, daughter Hilda SAYLE, born in 1909, later to marry Henry or Harry RICHARDSON.   Hilda I believe died in 2000, living in Cheshire.   There were two other children, Paul SAYLE, who apparently married Eva ??, and Harley who married Doris ??.

If anyone has knowledge of this family line, I would appreciate any information

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for SAYLE and QUILLIAM family links
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 December 09 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered my great great grandfather was
Thomas QUILLIAM, born about 1842, a police sgt who served at Laxey police station in the early 1880's. His wife was Eliza QUAYLE or similar.

One of his daughters, Hilda QUILLIAM married my great grandad
John Robert SAYLE, born about 1879.   

John and Hilda had 4 children
Victor SAYLE born 1902, my dad's father
Hilda SAYLE born  1909, married Henry or Harry RICHARDSON. Hilda I believe died in 2000, living in Cheshire.
There were two other children, Paul SAYLE, who apparently married Eva ??, and Harley who married Doris ??.

If anyone has knowledge of this family line, I would appreciate any information

Do you have the families on all census or are you just looking for the births, deaths & marriages of John & Hilda's children?

there's a death entry for a
Hilda May SAYLE but it's in Kent not Cheshire
born 3/1/1908 death reg. Apr. 2003 age 93

No I don't have subscription for 1911, just did a search with info. provided 

:)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wizunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk  your reply :

John R SAYLE b1878 age 33 district Northwich, Cheshire
Hilda SAYLE   b1907 age   4             Northwich Cheshire
John SAYLE    b1910 age   1             Northwich Cheshire 

Hilda SAYLE   b1876 age 35 Runcorn, Cheshire

Victor SAYLE  b1902  age   9 district Isle of Man
Hilda SAYLE    b1909 age   2            Isle of Man
Paul SAYLE     b1910  age  1            Isle of Man

there's no Harley SAYLE

You said you didnt havent access to the 1911 census, I presume you meant you did, I dont at the moment.   I use Ancestry.com and they dont have it yet.   Which one do you use, maybe I should change to an updated site.   

Anyway, yes this looks my great grandparents and my grandad Victor.   However, a little puzzled as they should all be living together, yet some are in Isle of Man and some in Cheshire.   I also didnt know of John SAYLE born 1910, maybe he died young.

I think the Hilda Sayle in Runcorn is not part of the family.

I am looking for absoloutley anything on the family.  If you have any tips to assist I would appreciate that.   I am doing this from Australia, so can only go off what I can find on the internet.   There doesnt seem to be anything (or at least I cant find anything) about births, deaths or marriages from the Isle of Man during 1800 - 1900

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk  your reply :

I use Ancestry.com and they dont have it yet.   Which one do you use, maybe I should change to an updated site.   

Anyway, yes this looks my great grandparents and my grandad Victor.

However, a little puzzled as they should all be living together, yet some are in Isle of Man and some in Cheshire.   I also didnt know of John SAYLE born 1910, maybe he died young.

I think the Hilda Sayle in Runcorn is not part of the family.

I am looking for absolutley anything on the family.  If you have any tips to assist I would appreciate that.   I am doing this from Australia, so can only go off what I can find on the internet.   There doesnt seem to be anything (or at least I cant find anything) about births, deaths or marriages from the Isle of Man during 1800 - 1900

This is the link for 1911 census where you can do searches for free (which I did) but it costs to look at the information and can prove costly to view if it's the wrong family.

http://www.1911census.co.uk

Have a go at the searches using the information you have and see what you come up with.  I started with surname only and place of residents, then added christian names, place of birth etc. - have found in some cases where I've looked at the wrong family which is very frustrating

Could only find this birth from FreeBMD site

Hilda SAYLE Mar 1907 District Northwich Vol. 8a page 239

I don't know whether this refers to the above  http://pilot.familysearch.org birth record for Hilda SAYLE born 1907 Weaverham, Cheshire parents named as John Robert SAYLE & Ethel

John SAYLE born 1910 Weaverham, Cheshire also has parents named John Robert SAYLE & Ethel.

I can see nothing on FreeBMD for births Victor b1902, Hilda b1909 or Paul SAYLE - where they all born in Cheshire

John Robert SAYLE  married Ethel Boally JOHNSON 23/8/1900 Weaverham, Cheshire father of JRS is named as Edward SAYLE.

So it looks as if this is not your family as your John Robert SAYLE b1878 as  married Hilda QUILLIAM  :-\

I don't know if Hilda, Victor and  Paul are of the same family it maybe that other members of the SAYLE family in Isle of Man have named their children by the same names -  unfortunately there's no way of telling unless you view the transcripts and as I said can prove costly if none prove to be from the correct family :(

I will PM the censuses info. for Quilliam/Sayle - hope they prove to be the right families  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
There doesnt seem to be anything (or at least I cant find anything) about births, deaths or marriages from the Isle of Man during 1800 - 1900
try the IGI - extracted records to abt 1877 when civil reg started
try http://www.iomfhs.im (follow research links) to indices etc for all censuses, burials, wills + early civil reg births + marrs
try http://www.isle-of-man.com/cgi-bin/interests/genealogy/bulletin/index.pl?noframes to see if someone has researched the family
try http://www.manxnotebook.com (under genealogy etc) for directories etc
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline wizunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 December 09 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Frances, I appreciate your help and patience whilst I get used to searching and using this forum.

Question for you, when I have replied to posts, there doesnt seem to be a lot of room at the bottom of the screen and the text disappears when I am typing.  I can scroll down to read my message, but when I am actually typing, the text isnt displayed - any suggestions ?

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 December 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »
but when I am actually typing, the text isnt displayed - any suggestions ?
I use Firefox - free + very safe browser - see http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ - no problem but I browse with graphics turned off + with the noscript extension to firefox
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Wispa1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am one of the daughters of Henry Victor Richardson, my grandmother was Hilda Richardson (nee Sayle), great grandmother Hilda Sayle (nee Quilliam, great great grandfather Thomas Quilliam, would be interested in sharing family history / information with you.

Offline Sleepyalice

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 December 12 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i am related to Hilda Sayle ( she is my great grandmother)
Victor, Hilda,Harley,Paul were all Hilda's children
From her first marriage and did live in the Isle of Man
At some point. This is  information from my moms childhood memory. If you
Are still interested she may be able to fill in some blanks
What is your age now?
Hope you are still looking