Author Topic: Frances Mann born 1756 married Christopher Townsend married 1776 died in Cork  (Read 7349 times)

Offline retiree1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Mann born 1756 married Christopher Townsend married 1776 died in Cork
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 January 14 05:39 GMT (UK) »
I am also a descendant of Frances Mann through  her son Christopher Townesend. Would love to exchange information !

Offline leyleinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Mann born 1756 married Christopher Townsend married 1776 died in Cork
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 08:38 GMT (UK) »
My husband is directly descended from Frances Mann through her granddaughter, Louisa Townsend.  Your reference to an adoption by Isaac Mann is very interesting.  Is this a confirmed fact or an unsubstantiated Ancestry entry -of which there are rather a lot!

Offline leyleinoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 15:12 GMT (UK) »
A successful evening's hunting -

Isaac Mann.  Born Norwich 1710, entered Trinity College Dublin in 1730 under the patronage of Robert Jocelyn (later the Chancellor of Ireland). Died Bath, Somerset 10 December 1788, interred at the Episcopal Chapel of the Bishop's summer palace at Ballinapsig, Cork on 31 December  1788.

Isaac Mann did indeed adopt his brother's children after his brother died, and he took their mother into his home as well.  He never married.  There were 5 children -
Samuel - erected a monument to his uncle in the Epicopal Chapel at Bishopstown House at Ballinaspig "...  to the memory of his beloved and much honoured uncle...Saml Mann has caused this monument to be placed here." The monument was moved to St Finbarre's Cathedral in Cork in 1845.
Frances - married Christopher Townsend
John - married Mary Smyth (Isaac Mann leased Bishopstown House to Nicholas Smyth in 1785)
Henry - married Jayne Smyth
Susanna Maria (or Marie) - married Rev. Joseph Weld in 1775 in Cork (ref. Brady p.451  "Susanna Maria Mann, niece, ward and adopted daughter of Isaac Mann, Bishop of Cork and Ross"

I have a photo of  the portrait of Isaac Mann that hangs in the Bishop's Palace in Cork - they hold the copyright.

Isn't Mr Google wonderful?

Offline Marjorie Mann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 January 14 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello from Australia, my name is Marjorie Mann.
I have traced Samuel Mann b Ballymena, Antrim in 1806 and believe he is our descendant.  He was a shoemaker, married to Elizabeth Beggs and had three children when he was convicted of cattle stealing in 1833 and transported to Australia.  I have all details from that time to now on the family, but can find nothing of his life before this event.  He was also a Freemason and Protestant according to court report.
I don't know if you could help in any way, I would like to think Frances is part of the family!  Records in Ireland are very hard to access and I realise a lot were lost, but if you could help me in any way I would be very grateful.
Blessings, Rev. Marjorie Mann

Offline red cardinal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 21:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi Sonas,
         Thank you for your reply. Have used Ancestry and come with that Isaac Mann adopted Frances, Henry & John around  1765 as their parents had died.

Isaac was the brother of their Father Samuel.
          Frances married Christopher Townsend in 1776
          John married Mary Smyth in 1771
          Henry married Jayne Smyth in 1767.
          They were all married in Cloyne, Ireland. Isaac never married.

Will continue my search on Mann family but, will take time as I am only a beginner.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Kiddo

There is some evidence that Henry Mann who married Jane Smyth, Smythe, Smith, went to county Tyrone where another two or three generations of Manns can be traced.
Best wishes for your search
Red Cardinal

Offline keyless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Isaac Mann's nephew, Samuel Mann, died sometime before January 1818.  The reference for this is a notice of the marriage of his daughter Ann in which she is referred to as the daughter of the late Samuel Mann Esq of Cork and niece to the late Bishop of Cork and Ross. 

Offline red cardinal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 November 14 03:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi Sonas,
         Thank you for your reply. Have used Ancestry and come with that Isaac Mann adopted Frances, Henry & John around  1765 as their parents had died.

Isaac was the brother of their Father Samuel.
          Frances married Christopher Townsend in 1776
          John married Mary Smyth in 1771
          Henry married Jayne Smyth in 1767.
          They were all married in Cloyne, Ireland. Isaac never married.

Will continue my search on Mann family but, will take time as I am only a beginner.

Once again many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Kiddo

There is some evidence that Henry Mann who married Jane Smyth, Smythe, Smith, went to county Tyrone where another two or three generations of Manns can be traced.
Best wishes for your search
Red Cardinal

Henry Mann of Byblox (Doneraile), later of Athenry, co. Tyrone, b. 1745, m. 1772, Jane, daughter of William Smythe Esq by Anne his wife, daughter of J. Crosbie, Esq of county Kerry, and by her (who d. 1809) left at his decease, 1818, amongst others,
Source: The Landed Gentry of Ireland,   Burke.