Author Topic: Byrne/s Burns of High Street, Cork 1911  (Read 2816 times)

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
Byrne/s Burns of High Street, Cork 1911
« on: Monday 16 June 14 21:48 BST (UK) »

I am searching for relatives of the Bryne/ Burns (various spellings) family of High Street Cork in 1901 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Cork_Urban_No__5/High_Street/1115081/

Head of Household was Timothy Byrne aged 54  widower,  (He married Mary Donovan 30 Sept 1869. Mary died before 1901).  Living with him in 1901 were his daughters Hannah aged 22 born 6 April 1878, Kate 18, Jane 16 and Timothy 14. 

Timothy & Mary seem to have had other children -
John b 1873, Thomas b 1875 , Mary b 1880,  William b 1870 (William living in High Street in 1901 with his own family).  The surname for these children when christened was "Burns" and in 1901 it was Byrne.

I am anxious to know if Hannah married?    As far as I know Kate & Jane did not marry, although not sure about this.   I found both Kate & Jane living with their aunt in 1911 but don't know what became of them in latter years.  Would love to know what became of them?

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline Markii

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Byrne/s Burns of High Street, Cork 1911
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 14 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Can't say I'm helping but I am looking for information on Byrnes too. B. Byrne from my tree is apparently without a family, I cant find even her parents....

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 14 13:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 December 14 17:44 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Dathai,  I have actually purchased a few certs for any Hannah Burns/Byrnes including that marriage cert. and spent hours in the library going through all the voting registers for years 1920 to 1940 and found her in most years up to 1937 so presume she died after that and before 1940.  I know where most of the family members are buried and have found the headstone but no luck for Hannah or Kate.  I think it is a hard one to find her burial place.   Basically I was trying to find out what happened to Hannah and the two spinster sisters.

Thanks for your help. 
  To MB family, without a Christian name or an idea of the area in Cork that your Byrne ancestor came from it will be almost impossible for you to find what you are looking for. Sorry

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Offline Markii

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 December 14 20:33 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Dathai,  I have actually purchased a few certs for any Hannah Burns/Byrnes including that marriage cert. and spent hours in the library going through all the voting registers for years 1920 to 1940 and found her in most years up to 1937 so presume she died after that and before 1940.  I know where most of the family members are buried and have found the headstone but no luck for Hannah or Kate.  I think it is a hard one to find her burial place.   Basically I was trying to find out what happened to Hannah and the two spinster sisters.

Thanks for your help. 
  To MB family, without a Christian name or an idea of the area in Cork that your Byrne ancestor came from it will be almost impossible for you to find what you are looking for. Sorry

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Yep it is her Christian name.

Bridget Byrne born about 1772 in Trim, married Morgan Power in Toongabbie N.S.W.  :)

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 January 15 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Celtic Liberty, just wondering if you know where Timothy Burns/Byrne was born? I have Burns/Byrne in my family tree who came from Blarney/Inniscarra area and changed the spelling of their name around the same time as your Timothy.  in 1911 I have a Jerome Byrnes living in Evergreen Street.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 January 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »

Hi Agho,

It's a small world.  The area that you refer to is actually around Matehy beyond Blarney. 
I am doing this search to help the father of my best friend.

Dincur has been really helpful and gave me some very interesting information which he got from some newspaper archives.

I will send you a PM.  Thanks for responding to my post

Mary
Celtic Liberty