Author Topic: Rosanna McGreevy  (Read 1625 times)

Offline mikekirk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rosanna McGreevy
« on: Thursday 30 October 14 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find more information about  my Great Grandmothers side of the family her name was  Rosanna McGreevy I believe she was born in 1841 and she married my great Grandfather David Kirk  on the 25th May 1849 at Downpatrick Civil Registration Office. I know they lived in Comber in Carnasure Co Down, and I just wanted to know if anyone has any information that would help me find more of her family.
Thanks.
Kirk. Brennan. Conyers. Smith. Simpson. Burns. Toole. Baldam. Snowden

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rosanna McGreevy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »

Trying to find more information about  my Great Grandmothers side of the family her name was  Rosanna McGreevy I believe she was born in 1841 and she married my great Grandfather David Kirk  on the 25th May 1849 at Downpatrick Civil Registration Office.

Just to clarify for others reading your post and who may be able to help, the GRONI online website  has a marriage registered for folk with those names taking place on 23rd May 1859, is that the same one?

Also, the bride's father's name according to the Ulster Historical Foundation website search index was James McGreevy, is that correct?  Do you know his occupation from the civil marriage record? Was there any other detail in the civil marriage record that might help, eg. address of bride, witness names (esp. if called McGreevy)?

Offline mikekirk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 October 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.
Sorry Rosanna McGreevy was married 1859.and uses her fathers name was James McGreevy. I have a copy of there wedding certificate her address was given as Ballyalgan Killyleagh her fathers occupation was a farmer and her witness was called Mary McGreevy.
Thanks for the correction
Kirk. Brennan. Conyers. Smith. Simpson. Burns. Toole. Baldam. Snowden

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 14 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation records show James McGreevy on plot 14 in Ballyalgan. That was a farm, outbuildings and 20 acres.  The subsequent revaluation records show he was replaced by Hugh McGreevy in 1884 (his son perhaps?).  Hugh would be of an age to be Rosanna’s brother. Here’s Hugh in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Crossgar/Ballyalgan/1229975/

Family were RC, so you might want to look for her baptism and that of any siblings in the local RC parish records. The RC parish is Kilmore. Their records appear be on-line on the UHF site. Otherwise the only copies are in local custody (ie the parish priest still has them).
Elwyn