Author Topic: Information from Falkirk  (Read 15113 times)

Offline Lemon Nelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • The never ending journey
    • View Profile
Re: Information from Falkirk
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 05 March 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Morney, first re Levett name.  My ex husband was a Levett and I researched his tree as we get along fine.  The levetts from the South have been widely researched and if you can let me have the name of the Kent GG Grandfather DOB and anything else if I can connect him up to what I have I am willing to give you any information I have including photographs if we can prove a link.
re Archives, I think it is earlier burials they have, after rereading your thread.
I also saw you mentioned poor house records, when I asked about these at the Archives they told me the records are missing.
I am not on here much but will pop back if I get the e mail notifying me you added again to see if my Levett lot can be of any help to you, Best wishes Lemon
Tripney, Howes, Lapsley, Davies, Evans, Allan, Green,

Offline Morney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 03 July 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, I have just found them so sorry for not replying earlier.

Many thanks Anne for the Photo. 
Also Lemon Nelly.

John Levett was born in Kent in 1791, this information was from 1841 and 1851 census.  He lived in Glenelg, 1841 and Glasgow 1851.  He was in the 8th Regiment of Foot.  And an army pensioner.  On various marriage certificates of his children he was a labourer, a stone breaker, and boat merchant. 

I would be interested if you had any further info about him before 1841.

Many thanks
Morney

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 04 July 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
hi morney  :)

don't know if you have this from national archives-

john levett
born rolbenden kent
served with the 31st foot regiment , 8th foot regiment
discharged age 37
covering dates 1812 - 1829

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Morney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 July 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks ev.  I did not have this information.  This seems to fit in with his dates.  I would be interested if there was any further info. 

Cheers
Morney

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 04 July 09 13:06 BST (UK) »
maybe worth posting his name and details on the armed forces board
the people on there will know far more than me
i believe the 31st foot fought in spain c1813
the only reference to rolbenden i can find on the net is cranbrook kent

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Morney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 04 July 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help with try that.

Morney

Offline momac72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 December 13 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I notice that your message is from a few years ago, so I hope this will still get through to you. It seems we might have some of each others' jigsaw pieces!  I have been looking into the history of my grandmothers and aunt's mother, who is Annie Lovat, and whose death was registered in 1918 by her daughter Mary McColgan.  The existence of this daughter, or any other children was unknown to us until now.  My gran was around 8 and my aunt around 4 when they were both orphaned by Annie's death - my aunt too young to remember, and my gran would never speak about the details, not even to my aunt.  Both of their birth certificates may give some clues to why you have discovered that Hugh was married in 1909 as a widower, but Annie did not die until 1918. 

My gran's birth certificate for 1909 states the mother as 'Annie Devoy or Lovatt' and in the details about the father states: 'Annie Devoy wife of Hugh Lovatt, labourer who she declares is not the father of the child and further that she has had no personal communication with him since they ceased to reside together about 4 years ago'.  there is no father named.

My aunts birth certificate for 1912 gives the father as Patrick Kerrigan and under the details states 'Annie Devoy, wife of Hugh Lovatt, Chemical Works Labourer, who she declares is not the father of the child and further that she has had no personal contact with him since he left her seven years ago'

When Annie died, Patrick Kerrigan was unable to look after my gran and aunt, they were 'boarded out' with a loving family on the Isle of Arran, and led long and happy lives, my aunt just dying last year at the age of 99.  I have copies of the birth certificates which I would be happy to send you. We were aware that my gran and aunt had a half brother through Patrick Kerrigan, but no knowledge of any other family through Annie.

I hope that doesn't come as too much of a shock to you, but the information you have supplied about Hugh has certainly put a few pieces of the puzzle in place for us. 

I'm only one day into my research, but it's already been quite fruitful!

Offline Morney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 28 December 13 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi momac 72

Thank you for your reply, this really is a five star jigsaw.  Have you seen the 1911 census on Scotlands People for Annie?  Patrick is registered at her address as a 'boarder'.  There is also Mary Mccolgan her daughter, and Mary McColgan her granddaughter.  There is a Lizzie aged 2 who may be related to you.

From my research I have found that many of Annie's children died young.  Her daughter Mary was about 22 when she died.  I don't know what happened to her child.  Rosina was 15 when she died and I think John died in WWI. Barbara Gordon died in the poor house in 1906 aged about 1.   I think only Josephine and Rachel lived a full life time. 

There is a newspaper report I found recently around December 1903 which I found in Find my past in the Falkirk Herald.  It is about Annie causing a disturbance and it is an account of her trial although she was found not guilty.  It is well worth reading. 

Our family knew nothing about Annie so it is all from research.

Good luck with your research.  If I can help any further please get in touch.

Offline momac72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 28 December 13 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Morney, I'd love to read the article about Annie causing a disturbance!  You don't happen to have the exact date that it's from? 

I did find the census return from 1911 after a bit of hunting - Lizzie Livett aged 2 was my grandmother, although she subsequently used the Kerrigan name.

Am I right in assuming from your posts that you are descended from Hugh Lovatt's subsequent Newcastle family?  In which case we are not connected by blood, just by a web of intrigue!  Co-incidentally I now live in Newcastle.  I've attached the register entries for my gran and aunt, in case you haven't come across them.

Also, I'd be interested to get the complete list of Annie's children if you have it?  In the 1911 census, she declares that she had 8 children, 6 still living, one of whom would have been my gran.  But the only births in the register I can find so far are:

Mary 1893
Rosina 1897
John 1899
Rachel 1903
Barbara 1905

so there should be another two births, one of them also resulting in a death?   And you say that Mary died aged 22, but to register the death in 1918, she must have been around 25?  Do you know of a year for her death?  It would be really interesting to know what happened to her daughter.  Given that she registered her mother's death, it has made me wonder if she also took charge of finding a way of placing my gran and aunt who would have been 9 and 6, into care.

Anyway, your research is much appreciated. 

all the best

Copyright images removed , you can transcribe the information if you wish