Author Topic: John Main/ Christian Main  (Read 3660 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Main/ Christian Main
« on: Sunday 09 December 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
In my research of my MAIN family, I found a John Main, Slamannan married to Christian Main, Falkirk on 24July 1819. They had two children, Christian b. 1820 and Thomas, b. 1821. I have found 4 possible sets of parents for John: James/ Margaret Marshall (John b. 1786); James/ Mary Walker (John b. 1797); John/ Marion Monteath (John b. 1791); George/ Jean Scrimgeour (John b. 1790) and no parents for Christian. If anyone can shed some light on this couple, I would appreciate hearing from them

Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Main/ Christian Main
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 December 12 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim

To enable others to help you you'll have to tell us how you settled upon the couple married in 1819 - I take it you're descended from Thomas?  Do you have the death entries for either John Main or Christian M

On the ppv govt website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk there are only 12 Christian Mains who die in all of Scotland after the start of national registration in 1855.

There is only one who dies in Stilrlingshire and she dies in Slamannan in 1867 aged 63.  This would have her born in abt 1803/4 which would have had her as a young bride - if it were her in 1819.  You'd be able to pick her up the the '41, 51, 61 census.  here death entry should give both parents names if the informant knew them.

MMhhhh...   maybe not - just had a look on Freecen and it shows only 1 Christian Main on the '41 in the correct age range - she is in Slamannan, but with a Robert Main and a family of children

Good luck.

Regards,   Steve

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
My direct line starts with James Main/ Mary Mitchell, Slammanan. Their son John married Isobel Young 1799. John was farming at Easter Glen farm just south of Falkirk when he died in 1840. His son David, age 25, was still at Easter Glen in the 1841 census. Christian or Christina Main, age 20, was also there. Christian was the daughter of John Main/ Christian Main, and I have not been able to make any connection between these two families.She later married Edward McKenzie, and David married Margaret Oswald. I've been puzzled as to why these people from apparently unconnected Main families were at Easter Glen at the same time.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm not meaning to sound cheeky, but Main is/was an awfully common surname around all the areas you've mentioned, so they were possibly from unrelated lines or the connection was from many years previous?

Anne

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I agree. I do believe they are from different lines. However, my interest is in trying to find from which line both John Main and Christina Main descend. Have not had any luck so far.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 August 13 22:09 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary Main born c1776 who married James Rankine Stirlingshire- any connection?
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 September 13 13:13 BST (UK) »
This Mary has nothing to do with John/ Christian Main.
James Rankine, born 22July 1770, Polmont,was the son of George Rankine/ Jean Rea.
James married Mary Main, born 1766,Muiravonside. She was the daughter of James Main/ Mary Simpson.
Regards, Jim Main
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline callendar14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 November 13 01:08 GMT (UK) »
just touching base with jimmain and mrsa re james rankine/mary main and margaret oswald whose sister also married a james rankine

ronr