Author Topic: Dorrie Cunning  (Read 4367 times)

Offline magicmermaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dorrie Cunning
« on: Thursday 02 January 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am trying to find the living relatives of the late Dorrie Cunning from Newtownards. She was married to a James Cunning. Dorrie's mother was called Charlotte (Quinn) Who married Walter Cavan in about 1915 in St marks Parish Church. Dorrie passed away in 2011 and is buried at Movilla Cemetry Newtownards Co down. can you help guide me. Thanks

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dorrie Cunning
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 February 14 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I don't know if I have a connection with Dorrie and James,the reason I'm saying this is that my Gunning ancestors had large families and I haven't researched all the offspring of all of them,only the ones in my direct line.It's very likely as my family all came from Newtownards as did James.Do you know who James' parents were,that would help.
  I know they were missionaries and that they went to Brazil.I have a missionary in my family,Mary Belshaw,she went to Australia to help Aborigini children in 1923,she died there in the 1960s.Her brother Hugh also went with his wife and son,he was a Baptist minister,then her sister Eleanor went after she married and I'm in touch with her grand daughter.It was The grand daughter who asked me if I am related to James.
   There are a lot of James in the children of my great x2 and great x3 grandfathers families.Did you know that on A Billion Graves you can see James and Dorrie's grave.
  If I can be of help let me know and if you know who James' parents were that would help me to see if there is a link.Can I ask if you are related to them.

Offline Apen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 February 14 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I had the privilege of knowing Dorrie a little in the latter part of her life - she attended a little gospel meeting I also went to. She was a lovely lady, lived latterly in Grange Manor appartments Bangor. As far as I am aware James and she had no children. Perhaps her missionary society who she served the majority of her life with, could give more info...The ACRE Gospel Mission. I believe she also was a member of Newtownards Baptist Church. Either of these could be a source of information. Best wishes.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 February 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you for replying.I will contact the places you suggest and see what they can tell me.If I find anything I will get back to you.

Offline Apen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 February 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
You may be interested to know that there is a book published by Victor Maxwell entitled "When God steps in" and James & Dorrie's story features in it - there is even a small picture of Dorrie (in the background) on the front cover.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 February 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant,I will try and get a copy.Is it available anywhere or can you recommend somewhere.
 I think I told you about Mary Belshaw she went to Australia.I am in contact with her sister's grand daughter and she is a minister in Australia,She has written at least one book but I think it's only for academics,she was the person who told me about James and Dorrie.

Offline Apen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 February 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh that's interesting, I'm glad you have made some family contacts. I am sure the book will be available on Amazon or some Christian bookshops. It is quite an easy read and talks about their early lives and other people they knew. Hope you can get hold of one.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry I haven't been in touch for a while I've been in hospital.I e-mailed both the places you suggested but have had no reply from either.I will try again,I have found that James' parents were James and Houston Gunning born in the 1880s but that's not helping much,I need to get further back than that,easier said than done.I'll let you know if I find anything that points to a connection with my family.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 June 14 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, How are you? Well I hope.I'm afraid I haven't got any further with James and Dorrie.As I said before,there are so many James' in my family that it's hard to know where or if he fits in.
  Lately I have been researching some of my mum's family but I will make a point of trying to see if there is a connection. I'll let you know what I find.