Author Topic: Dr Robert Martin of Newtownards  (Read 5855 times)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Robert Martin of Newtownards
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 10:57 BST (UK) »

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 11:04 BST (UK) »

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 September 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the links and ideas :).   I live in Australia, so it's not possible to visit libraries in Co. Down.  Would the staff at Ballynahinch library reply to online requests for help?   I've looked at Ros Davies' website, so have burial details for the Martin family and a picture of the headstone.   

I'm also interested in the Warden family - it seems to be a fairly prolific family in the Newtownards area.  David Warden, father-in-law of Dr. Robert Martin, was a farmer of Ballywatticock, but I have no other details.

Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 September 14 08:04 BST (UK) »
 if you are writing to the local history headquarters of the SE Education and library board at Ballynahinch or the Belfast central reference library, ask them to look up 
A Directory of Ulster Doctors (who qualified before 1901)
▪   by Richard Clarke Publication Date
September 2013
▪   Publisher 
Ulster Historical Foundation
▪   Format
Hardback
ISBN
978-1-909556-02-7 or buy the book at £50 It contains over 6000 entries
However my experience is a copy will be sitting in OZ
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 September 14 03:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks BallyaltikilliganG for the info on that book.  I've emailed Belfast Central Library to see if they can help. :)  If not, I'll try the library at Ballynahinch.   I'll post here if they come up with anything.
Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 September 14 05:37 BST (UK) »
I emailed the Belfast Library and they passed the message to Belfast Heritage.  The very comprehensive reply contained a lot of information I already knew, but they did look up the book mentioned by BallyaltikilliganG (many thanks to you).   It seems Dr. Robert Martin studied at Glasgow, but 'A Directory of Ulster Doctors' does not give his birthplace, though it did for many others mentioned.   I am emailing the Glasgow University Library to see if they can fill in any more details.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 September 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/W/War.htm has many Warden entries here is one sample entry
 David   WARDEN   .   Newtownards   of Ballywatticock; died 12 Nov 1830 aged 54 ; husband of Jane McCormick who died 8 Apr 1848 aged 70; father of Eleanor Jane (d. 23 Jul 1842 aged ... years) & Eliza Moore Warden
MIs
keep going JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide