Author Topic: james bulloch and christina erskine,  (Read 6227 times)

Offline ianm49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: james bulloch and christina erskine,
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 April 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi DavidPaul,
it seems the families of ancestors have spread wide and far.

I am researching the marriage of William Bulloch and Frances McIntyre and have discovered 2 marriages only a month apart, both in Glasgow City (9 May 1841 in Glasgow Parish and 4 Jun 1841 in Rutherglen Parish).

Now, how to choose the right one? Family history is written in a chronological order but researched backwards. Such is the challenge (and fun!?) of genealogy.
WALKER, Glasgow, Perthshire; KAY, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 April 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
I am researching the marriage of William Bulloch and Frances McIntyre and have discovered 2 marriages only a month apart, both in Glasgow City (9 May 1841 in Glasgow Parish and 4 Jun 1841 in Rutherglen Parish). Now, how to choose the right one?

This is quite common, and you don't have to choose one or the other.

The marriage records before 1855 are not necessarily the record of the wedding ceremony but the records of the proclamation of banns.

If the couple lived in different parishes, the banns had to be proclaimed in both parishes, and this generates a double record. The discrepancy in date may be because the clerk in one parish wrote the record on the day the banns were first proclaimed, while the clerk in the other actually included the date of the wedding ceremony. If the weddding date is listed (it isn't always) then the indexers include that. If not, the date can be the date of first proclamation.

You need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits and download the images of the original records to see exactly what they tell you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:41 BST (UK) »
The erskine name is a challenge ian , as far as Ihaved looked it seem to be a tinker name do know thats this could be right ian as well just had no luck with christina at this moment hopefully I will get more on her regards david.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 April 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
All most sure the bulloch name originated in loch lomond ian and may of been balloch.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline ianm49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 April 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian,
since I made my post, I have the the records on scotlandspeople and are inclined to think that as the couple were from different parishes, and Frances was from a non-conformist church which could not marry a couple without it first occurring in a Church of Scotland, that the marriage occurred first in Glasgow and then in the non-conformist Rutherglen Relief Church. The marriage date is the same on both records but is recorded with a later date in Rutherglen.
  After discovering this information, I have come back and read your post which appears to correlate with my information, thanks.

I have researched as William Bulloch's birth dates have been variously given as 1816 and 1818. Only one birth in Glasgow is recorded as occurring in 1816 to the parents of James Bulloch and Christian Erskine.

I find it somewhat off-putting in researching a common used name like William Bulloch linked to a relative whose name is variously listed as Jane, Jean and Janet. I never really sure if I am dealing with the same person, sisters or members of different families.

Thanks for all your advice. The last 24 or so hours have been fruitful in adding one general generation of ancestors to one branch of the family tree. Most days, or weeks, are this productive, unfortunately.
WALKER, Glasgow, Perthshire; KAY, Fife

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 April 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

The name Jean, Jane and Janet could in fact be one and the same as they are all derivatives of the same name.

See link below
http://www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Jean.html

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 April 14 17:19 BST (UK) »
since I made my post, I have the the records on scotlandspeople and are inclined to think that as the couple were from different parishes, and Frances was from a non-conformist church which could not marry a couple without it first occurring in a Church of Scotland, that the marriage occurred first in Glasgow and then in the non-conformist Rutherglen Relief Church. The marriage date is the same on both records but is recorded with a later date in Rutherglen.

No.

There was never any need to have more than one marriage ceremony, even if the couple belonged to different denominations. The legal bit of the marriage was the couple being declared married before witnesses. You could actually contract a legal marriage be declaring yourself to be married before two witnesses. The presence of a clergyman was not essential, and all clergymen were equal in the eyes of the law as far as marriage was concerned, so a marriage by a clergyman of a minority denomination was just as valid as one by a minister of the Church of Scotland.

Nor is it likely that the wedding ceremony was conducted in a church building, by the way. Most marriages took place in the bride's home, or, if her parents were too far away or no longer alive, the marriage would be in the manse, or possibly her place of employment. It wasn't until the late 19th century that weddings began to be held in hotels and such-like, and weddings in church were relatively rare until the 20th century.

See http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 April 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Can please put in a plea for any sightings of my Bulloch family from Glasgow?

From family papers I have siblings John, Ann, Jean, William, Thomas

Father's name either John (from family papers) or Thomas (from Williams marriage cert)

John & William came down to Liverpool, Jean and/or Thomas may also have done so.

From census info i have:
John bn 1809 Scotland  He died 1854 Liverpool
William bn 1818-26  Glasgow (age varies each time) He died 1880 Liverpool

In 1841, there is a Jean Bulloch age 15 bn Scotland in John's household who could be his sister, but following her through marriage & later censuses she is more likely to be a niece - daughter of Thomas

If anyone has any info on this group of siblings & who their parents were I would be very grateful!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 14 April 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
George bulloch was my grtgrt granfather his wife was also called janet  sure he had a daughter called janet  regards david