Author Topic: Help....can't find James Currie's mother!  (Read 32548 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help....can't find James Currie's mother!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 February 14 19:21 GMT (UK) »
The surname is definitely "Marr".

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 February 14 00:23 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census for 71 Stewart Street,Glasgow shows John Currie (37), his wife Elizabeth is 29 & was born in Bo'ness. There is John aged 3, & James aged 1.Also there is John's stepson Thomas Dunlop, 12 & George Dunlop, 33, his brother in Law.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 February 14 00:32 GMT (UK) »
The surname is definitely "Marr".

Oops , sorry.
I'll go and clean my specs :-[
Looby :)

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 February 14 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, my Paternal Great Granny's Sister, Jane/Jean/Jeanie/Jeannie Dunlop (1858-1923) had a child William Marr (1878-1897) although she did not marry his father also William Marr but went on to marry a Francis Goudie in 1889 in Neilston.

I'll try and have a look and see if there is any connection.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 February 14 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all sorry, I wasn't getting updates for some reason.... anyways

Yes most of this Currie family went over to Canada. I keep getting pulled back to the Dunlop/ Currie family as a match, which is why I posted that BC which Elizabeth Dunlop as the mother. I can't find a BC for a James Currie with parents of the same names as listed on his MC. Also can't find a BC or DC for for a Margaret Currie m.s. Marr or Mars (I've looked at both but also think that it looks more like Marr)

oops you're right John Currie was listed as deceased on the MC I mixed myself up... I looked at a lot of DC for men named John Currie  who would have been born about the right time to have an 18 yr son in 1878, born all over Scotland but there are a lot just in the Glasgow area (since I don't know his birth year or place of birth) it's making it hard! I found one that looked like it might be right but had Janet Jackson listed as wife's name...

I've also looked at a ton of MC for John Currie (born between 1838 - 1861 as I have no idea just going on age of only known child being 18 in 1878). I just can't seem to figure this out! ??? ??? :-\

Oddly enough the closet I found was from Dec 1850 with John Currie & Margaret Martin....could it be that she just couldn't read or write and that it got recorded wrong on one of the documents???

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 February 14 17:38 GMT (UK) »
51 census lodging with the MAWHINNYs ...also from Ireland:
DUNLOP    Alexander Lodger    U M       24    Brickmaking Labourer        Ireland       
CURRIE    John    Lodger    U    M       26    Limestone Mining Labourer     Ireland        
CURRIE    Jacob Lodger    U    M       22    Limestone Mining Labourer     Ireland
Can't see another John Currie with an occupation that is macon/quarrier linked..except a lad from Fife...macon's labourer
Jen
Sorry another two (brothers?) John (18) and James (28) Currie both Quarriers from Ireland ...again lodgers...finally         
CURRIE    John       Lodger    M    M    34    Stone Mason    Renfrewshire - Eaglesham   
Maybe something clicks amongst this lot but chances are you've seen all these...
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 February 14 20:31 GMT (UK) »
This is what I have about the family so far...Confirmed

Neil Currie b. 1885 Glasgow son of James Currie abt. 1860 Glasgow (unknown if in or just in near area) & Margaret Sharkey abt. 1860 Glasgow (again area)

Margaret Sharkey abt 1860 daughter of John Sharkey 1824 Scotland - 19 Jan 1901 Glasgow & Margaret Taylor 14 Jun 1830 Glasgow - 20 Jan 1881 (I know a few generations after them.... so am good on that side)

James Currie abt 1860 son of John Currie abt 1830 (could really be any where between 1815- 1844 making him between 18-45 when James was born) Scotland (I'm guessing Glasgow but could just as easily be Edinburgh or Fife. I ran into a few Currie families around there, but the ones in Fife seem to all be fishermen and sailors.
*NOT CONFIRMED* his mother - on MC- Margaret Marr
                                                  on BC (attached to post) - Eliza (Elizabeth) Dunlop

I have a MC attached to this post listing the marriage between Margaret Sharkey aged 18 & James Currie also 18 a Mason/ journeyman. Both were living in Glasgow at the time of marriage on 12 April 1878. At the time of the wedding both Margaret's parents (listed above) were both living, James's father John (Mason) is deceased and his mother Margaret Marr is alive.

I have a BC attached to this post that matches the best from all I've seen, 13 Mar 1860 Glasgow,  but it has his mother listed as Eliza (Elizabeth) Dunlop and has John Currie listed as an Iron Moulder.... 
I could see John changing from Iron Moulder to being a Mason in 18 years, as work was hard getting at that time so you did what you could, and they seem a likely switch...I think...but the mum's name...

I've thought maybe Elizabeth died when James was really young and his dad John remarried to Margaret Marr... asked her to be on the MC... didn't know she wasn't his mum, or didn't know his real mum's name...however after going through the Census I see that there was a John & Elizabeth Currie (Dunlop was in all the kids had that in their name) that has them still together after 1881.

The other thing that throws me back to that BC is because later the same couple have a daughter they name Elizabeth Chalmers Currie (22 Jun 1862 Milton, Glasgow). The name Chalmers, comes up a few other times later after the Currie family I'm working on comes over to Canada.... which makes me think that it has to be a family name, a surname before Elizabeth Dunlop... so that make her a match again!

I can't find any census before 1881 (after they marry) with James Currie and his parents John & Margaret Currie but I see the Currie family with Elizabeth in 71' & 61'. Also John aged 27 Ironstone miner in 1851 (19 Hamilton St., Carluke, Lanarkshire).

I can't find any records having to do with a Margaret Marr and a John Currie anywhere in Scotland other than there names listed on the MC of James Currie as his parents....

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 February 14 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Some very strange things are going on here!

There is a marriage in 1864 for a Margaret CURRIE and a John MARR (after death of John?)
Then on the 81 census we have Margaret MARR age 35 along with husband John Marr age 38- a MASON and their children- oldest child is John age 14...all living in Govan. If this is James Mum looks like she had him at 15 or more likely she's lopped a few years off her age....
  ???
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 February 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hmm... I wouldn't think that would match.....but at this point hey it might! haha

Funny enough...I just found this, on familysearch ...> James Williamson Currie b 15 May 1858 at High Church, Glasgow. Mother Margaret Currie....no father listed...

Now starting to wonder if maybe Margaret never married a man called John Currie, which is why I can't find any record of it from when records began until 2012!!

Either she was born a Currie and made up the Marr surname and the father's info....not like anyone checked in those days...or she was 'with' a man called John Currie but he died before they could marry and before James was born (which is why I can't find a birth match) so she just took the name Currie....again who was going to check.... either way I'm guessing this would have stopped people (the new in-laws) from figuring out that James was fatherless which was a very bad thing in those days...

in which case I should still be able to find James's BR.???...what do you think....