Author Topic: Winifred Glanston Shields .. Finally another lead  (Read 8067 times)

Offline f1rocco

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winifred Glanston Shields .. Finally another lead
« on: Thursday 13 March 14 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting story with my great grandmother.. Sort of that family secret that nobody would talk and nobody would ever bring up.. Never

Here's what I know ..

Winifred Glanston female..

Was born about 1890 +\- 5 years..
Looks to be Glasgow area
I feel her b-date could be 1894

I have a gut feeling she came to USA at 16 not 20yrs old.. When she died in 1930 the newspaper says she was 36.. But marriage and ellis island says 1890 +\- 1..

I found her I believe ellis island from Glasgow Scotland in 1910 with nobody with same last name..
Ship was the " caledonia"

She traveled an settled down that same year in Rochester New York  and married James Shields on December 6th 1910.. Kinda quick like 5 months in country..

She was shot and killed during a botched burglary attempt during the Great Depression on New Year's Day 1930... Her husband and two oldest sons were also involved in this burglary attempt..

She was then buried in an unmarked grave which only a few ever knew about..

I unlocked the secret thanks to all of you here and as well my mad skills..

I would love to find all I can about my great grandmother prior to the USA chapter.. Her life in Scotland or where ever.. I need her birthdate so I can give her a headstone with maiden name etc for others later..

Thanks again everyone..

Jason Shields
Schiells/Shiells/Shiels/Shields
Berwickshire/Lothian/Edinburgh/
NewCastle/Northumberland/Crichton
Nute/Nisbet/Magoffin/Phillips

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Winifred Glanston Shields .. Finally another lead
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 March 14 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason,

If you go back to Ellis Island records, there are a few clues that may help you. On page 94, she gives her relative in Scotland as an Uncle Edward Bonar, 14 Broompark St, Glasgow andshe is no 27 on list, if you then go to page 95, the relative that she is going to meet is a sister, Mrs Cath Shields, 286 Reynolds St, Rochester, New York.

I think you may need to investigate her sister's marriage to a "Shields", it could have been an arranged marriage, arranged by her sister I mean, hence the quick wedding.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 March 14 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason,

I have found a family of Glanstons with a 29yo niece Jessie C Bonar staying with them in 1901 census.

James Glanston 51yo Shipyard Engineer b Glasgow
Margaret Glanston 46yo b Ireland
Mary Halliday Glanston 10yo b Glasgow, her BC is on SP, and there is the no Winifred Glanston birth registered on SP between 1855 and 2012. There is also no Mary Glanston in the 1911 census.

I have found the family on Edward Bonar in the 1891 census at 196 Rottenrow in Glasgow,

Edward Bonar 51 Bookbinder finisher Unemp b Glasgow
Jessis Bonar suspect 18yo daughter b Glasgow
James Glanston 41 Steam Engine Fitter b Glasgow
Margaret Glanston 36 b Ireland
Mary H Glanston 8 months b Glasgow

This seems to tie up with the details that "Winifred" gave to Ellis Island records. I think that "Winifred" could be Mary Halliday Glanston but how does one prove it now.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 14 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi jason,

Gave it a little bit thought, why would someone so young travel to USA, thinking that parents died. Looked up the DC of widow Margaret Glanston she died November 1906 of Carcinoma of the Liver, Her parents were John Bonar ( Pattern Designer) and Mary Halliday (both deceased) and it was signed by daughter, Winifred. I wonder if she didn't like the Mary Halliday part of her name.

If you want a copy of the DC, please PM me.

Tom

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 March 14 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Tom! Great sleuthing there  ;D

Jason, I think you have the marriage already as you have mentioned it, but just adding here for reference https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XVGL-BB9

Curious who the sister "catherine shields" living in Rochester is and included on the manifest was? Maybe the US directories may give you more answers for that. Only Mary/Winifred seems to show with parents in 1891 and 1901 from what you found Tom. Also, I think parents James and Margaret only got married in 1890 in Glasgow.

Jason, 5 months between arriving in the US and getting married is not quick! Many met and married in weeks ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 March 14 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline f1rocco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 March 14 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all..

Awww shucks I have to go to work so I will be back in about 11 hours to read thru and start my sleuthing as well..

The address on Reynolds street in rochester is interesting.. Maybe Winifred's future brother in laws home.. James shields brother came to the USA prior to james.. I think if I remember correctly it may have been a Catherine .. Maybe those two were neighbors or related..

I know about the juicy newspaper article below I haven't read it but I know all the details from our local newspaper.. I sleuthed that one years ago...

It was during the great depression and from traveling from Glasgow through New York City and then to rochester in a 2 year period and no jobs .. Well probably toughens up a woman a little bit..

Thanks all I will be back later gotta go to work..

Jason

Offline f1rocco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 March 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't resist I had a few minutes left before work.

Interesting with Winifred's parents and name.. Has me thinking .. Did they live in bad neighborhood.. Criminal past .. Maybe winifred already married maybe even children in Scotland.. Maybe the slight name change..I believe she was one tough street smart gal.. Everyone that would not want me to find out has passed now so me knowing isn't going to upset anyone..

Gotta take the good with the bad.. Our family has been a terrific family to me and all.. I have no regrets..

I have numerous other post on here I'll have to search james shields brother who came over the year before and where he lived.. I believe he came to USA from Scotland twice and who he was married to..

I believe my good post was

Shiels Ellen nute

5 years ago I knew every name and year.. But now my dates and names are off.. I have to read my post again to get my sleuthing thoughts back..

Thanks again
Jason

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 March 14 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Jason, it has been a while since you started...2008 www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=280255.0 That was a fun search with Ambly's help too.

Added: also adding this link to further link! www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,278748.0.html

Winifred sounds a fascinating character  ;) Wish I had one of those ancestors in my lines  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk