Author Topic: John Ibbotson Hayes  (Read 3857 times)

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Ibbotson Hayes
« on: Tuesday 20 May 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
John Ibbotson Hayes was born in Worksop 20th July 1801 and I would to know if anyone can confirm for me that his parents were Thomas Hayes and Hannah ? Sertern married 20/04/1778
Also trying to find his wife's surname she is Elizabeth 1851 census says she was born Anston Yorkshire

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Ibbotson Hayes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
sorry wrong details Post deleted
Gaskell, Ormskirk, Upholland, Pemberton, Lancashire
Screeton/Screaton, Nottingham
Lomax Suffolk, Lancashire
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 20:53 BST (UK) »
From the Notts FHS baptism CD -
John Ibbotson Hayes baptised at Worksop Priory 31/7/1801 to Thomas and Hannah (Sestern / Cestern).  Their marriage date fits with all their children who were baptised at the same place with your John being the youngest shown.
Sarah 18/7/1779
Thomas 20/4/1783
James 31/7/1785
Ann 14/12/1789
John 30/12/1792
John 22/4/1798

I can't find your John's marriage to an Elizabeth because there are dozens in the right time frame on Family search that could fit.

NC.

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I am intrigued by the Ibbotson middle name and had wondered if it was the mother's surname, but obviously not.
John went on to do very well for himself ending his time in Eckington, Derbyshire where he owned a lot of land and was the Registrar for BMD's. I have a friend's ancestors birth cert that he has written, beautiful copperplate.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
        I also have the name Ibbetson or Ibbotson as a middle name on my tree, and like yourself I have never been able to trace where it came from.       John Ibbetson Widdop was born 1856 at Manningham, Yorkshire.  His father was Henry Widdop b 1809 Manningham, and before that there was Joseph Widdop b 1789.   When searching for Ibbetson, I usually also try Ibbotson, because I think there have been mis-spellings the further back you go.

You mentioned copperplate writing.    The odd thing is that John Ibbetson Widdop was at one time, (according to the census) an Engraver/Artist. In fact, he signed his middle initial ("I" for Ibbetson)  with a very artistic-looking flourish, which makes me even more certain he was an artist.     To confuse matters, the "I" when he signs his name looks more like like a "J", and this means that his records sometimes came under the name John J Widdop  instead of John I Widdop.     ...Maybe we will never know what the correct spelling of Ibbetson is, but in my tree line the most recent spelling of it is Ibbetson, so I have settled for that.

I just wonder if there is a line of Ibbetsons or Ibbotsons who were artists or engravers, and if yours is perhaps connected to mine at some point away back in the 1800's.

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 June 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
Only found baptisms online so far

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ridgeway/Eckington%20Baptisms%20I%20J%20K%20L.htm

9/3/1834    John    John  & Elizabeth    IBBERTSON    Mosbro    Schoolmaster
29/4/1827    Jemma    John & Elizabeth    IBBERTSON-HAYES    Mosbro    Schoolmaster
8/5/1836    Emma    John & Elizabeth    IBBERTSON-HAYES    Mosbro    Schoolmaster
1/7/1838    William    John & Elizabeth    IBBETSON-HAYES    Mosbro    Schoolmaster
21/3/1841    Thomas    John & Elizabeth    IBBOTSON-HAYES    Mosbro    Schoolteacher
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 June 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
        Talk of the Ibbetsons on this thread spurred me on to have another search to try to find out where my John Ibbetson Widdop's middle name originated from - and, much to my delight, I dug it up.   

The missing Ibbetson turned out to be Mary Ibitson (no wonder I couldn't find it).   She was born 1775 at Horsforth, Bradford and she married William Wilkinson in 1792 at Guisley, Yorkshire.     

They had a daughter Mary Wilkinson born 1816 at Burley, Yorkshire, and she married Henry Widdop.

One of Henry Widdop's sons was John Ibbetson Widdop 1856 - 1932.

My mother was born with the name Widdop.