Author Topic: Mystery Post Card to Master Thomas McKenzie, Selkirk  (Read 14714 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Post Card to Master Thomas McKenzie, Selkirk
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 October 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
"..... & Adam ....."

As Anne(apanderson) has already mentioned

Also there is a Thomas B.(R ?) Mckenzie b. c1904  going from Glasgow to Quebec in 1910
In the 1911 Census there are only 4 M*ckenzie's in Selkirk(shire) , only one in Galashiels

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 October 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
"..... & Adam ....."

As Anne(apanderson) has already mentioned

Also there is a Thomas B.(R ?) Mckenzie b. c1904  going from Glasgow to Quebec in 1910
In the 1911 Census there are only 4 M*ckenzie's in Selkirk(shire) , only one in Galashiels

ev

From what I can tell, this Thomas in the post card, is the same "wee Tommie" in the memorial cards.  The family traveled from Glasgow to Montreal on the Saturnia in 1910. 

I am wondering the connection to Galashiels - and who this McKenzie is, and how they are related (cousins probably).  How is the best way to get this census?

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 October 12 23:54 BST (UK) »
Don't forget about the postmark being Tarbolton and why it would have been posted from there.

I have no idea if there were any 'central' post-offices to which all the mail would go to be sorted, but it's found it's way there somehow!

Anne  :)

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 October 12 23:59 BST (UK) »
That is a good idea - I never thought of that - I was too focused on the person that the card was addressed to.  I believe that Tarbolton is in Ayrshire?

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 October 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, South Ayrshire - almost directly east of Prestwick.

Anne

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 November 12 01:57 GMT (UK) »
I have found some additional information regarding the location.  Thomas McKenzie and Eliza Merrilees McKenzie had a daughter Caroline Larpen McKenzie, who married Peter Irvine.  See the attached marriage record.  It shows that Caroline lived at Appletree Leaves in 1903.  However, this shows that it is in the districk of Langshaw, in the county of Roxburgh.  I believe that this is in Selkirk.

It appears that Thomas changed positions from being gardener at Ballechin, Logierait, Perthshire to Selkirk.  So it appears that Tommie, son of William Hay McKenzie visited his father in Appletreeleaves...it also appears that he was the witness to his sister's marriage.

Whew!

Moderator Comment: Only small sections of images should be included for help with deciphering etc. Thank you.

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 November 12 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It is definately in Galashiels. At one time parts of Gala were in Roxburghshire and the rest in Selkirkshire. This property is at the end of Gala that was in Roxburghshire which is the part furthest away from Selkirk. Confusing I know. Selkirk in Selkirkshire (at that time) is maybe 5/6 miles from Gala.

Now both are in Ettrick and Lauderdale District.  Hope this helps.

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 November 12 13:28 GMT (UK) »
just to set the record straight Langshaw area is now split between Melrose Parish, Roxburghshire and Galashiels Parish, Selkirkshire, its a couple of miles north east of Galashiels

However this only applies to the last 50-100 years, due to boundary changes 

In the past the Langshaw & Langlee and Ladhope areas of Galashiels  were all part of the Melrose parish, Roxburghshire the boundary was the Gala Water which runs through Galashiels north was Roxburghshire & south was Selkirkshire - Galashiels was a smaller town back then and only started growing in the mid to late 1800's with the Tweed Mills.

for instance the Langshaw SWRI is part of Roxburghshire Federation till this day

But having Selkirk on the Address could be a simply mistake because its closest, and because the Postal service was local they would know the local area and would get there easily

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 November 12 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Now the issue is whether the post card was sent to "wee" Tommie or his grandfather.  I am suspecting that it was sent to the younger Thomas because of the "Master".  Was this usage common at that time?