Author Topic: Mclean's from the Isle of Mull  (Read 19753 times)

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mclean's from the Isle of Mull
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 February 13 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don,

Here is my information on Rachel Abercrombie:

She married Kendrick Alfred Turner on 8 Sept. 1871 in Gawler, South Australia. She died 1908 Wokurna, South Australia
Their children:
Ellen 1872
Henry 1874
Catherine 1875
Elizabeth Jane 1876
Mary Abercromby 1878
Rachel 1879
Kendrick Browing 1880
John Henry 1884 - 1956 (my great, great grandfather)

Thanks for posting the attachment, it was very interesting :) Let me know if there is any other information that I can pass on.

Offline ldoran43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I hope that this doesn't get confusing, but I am trying to trace back the Mclean side of my family.

It starts with Donald Mclean born 1777 Inverchaolain, Bute, Scotland. He married Married Christina Mcphee and they moved to Australia.

From there back I have Donald's parents as John Mclean born 1750, Taunich Inverchaolain. Died 1830, Taunich and mother as Margaret Mcpherson, 1st August 1750, Inverchaolain they married 27 November 1776.

I have John Mclean's parents as Lachlan Mclean born 1714, Taunich Inverchaolian and Christiann White, married 1736 in Glentarsin.

Lachlan Mclean is the so of John Ardfinaig Mclean born 1680's Ardfenaig, Isle of Mull. And Catherine Mclean who married 16th July 1705, Ardfenaig, Isle of Mull.

John Ardfinaig Mclean son of Donald Killean Ross (of) Mull Mclean - born 1665 Kingerloch who married Mary Mclean.

From there back I get confused. I have Donald Killean Ross Mclean's father as John Garbh Mclean, but I am not sure if that is right.

I am looking for other people who might be tracing the same family line of Mclean's or someone knowledgable about the Mclean's from the Isle of Mull and around Inverchaolain. I'm not even sure if what I have so far is accurate so any help is very appreciated :)

Rebecca

Inverchaolin is on the Cowell Peninsula.  Donalds brother Archibald brings my line down. You have a bit more up line than I but it matches what I have. I live in Canada but have visited Dunoon etc. Mull  is further up the coast . There was a MacLean gathering there last summer. Some of the family went and found out that the connection was quite distant. ( But that didn't matter). Of course it is all Argyllshire
Linda. Doran. 
Glenties: Keeney, McCabe , Kinney Gallagher, Meehan, McGettigan, Russell, McLean, Taylor

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 February 13 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply! I would love to see what you have in your family tree. I can send you my e-mail address if thats ok with you.

Offline ldoran43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 February 13 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply! I would love to see what you have in your family tree. I can send you my e-mail address if thats ok with you.

Are you on Ancestry? My tree  is McLEAN_RUSSELL 2 family tree . Or is there a private way to send emails on RootsChat?
Glenties: Keeney, McCabe , Kinney Gallagher, Meehan, McGettigan, Russell, McLean, Taylor

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 February 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
There is a private way to exchange details which is via the Personal Message service (PMs). Just click on the small note/letter button under someone's username and it will take you straight through. You can also access this part of RootsChat via the 'My Messages' link in the top row of links.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craigspuir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I have only just picked up on this thread.

I would recommend www.maclean.org as another possible research tool for you. No promises but you never know.

Regards,

Ian

webmaster mullgenealogy.co.uk and an attendee at the last (and others) MacLean Gathering in 2012.

Offline MarKlo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 June 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
 Hi Rebecca,
You state that Lachlan McLean (born 1714) in Inverchaolin is the son of John Ardfinaig McLean from the isle of Mull. How do you know that? Do you have seen any records or documents? There are about 30 family trees on ancestry.co.uk stating the same, but none shows a source, so I suspect, they have all copied from each other (as I did....). But isn't it strange that Lachlan staid in Inverchaolin, when is father lives on Mull? So if you have anything to convince me, I would be thankful!
Cheers Marion

Offline Craig Proctor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 06:44 BST (UK) »
I too am having difficulty in tracing Adam Abercrombies parents. According to shipping docs he came from St Ninians (Scotland). There were two Abercrombie families at St Ninians at the time with several children but none named Adam unfortunately. He may have changed his name becuse I suspect he belongs to one of those families. I to am a direct descendant of Donald and Christian and have only gone back as far as you have Rebecca but I would love to know Christians parents. I am at present starting a memorial for the Abercrombies West Terrace unmarked burial plot.

Offline Polkadots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 December 16 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
To possibly confuse the issue further - but if anyone knows anything new it’ll be great!
John McLean and Margaret McPherson McLean also had a daughter Margaret who was my gggggrandmother.  Her Banns record luckily gives her parents and then a cousin of mine had a dan match with a descendant of one of the known children.
Margaret married Douglas McNuair (Weir) of Glendaruel and proceeded to have four children.  One emigrated to Ballarat, Victoria, Australia and they lived there until my grandparents came to Western Australia.  Some family is still in Victoria.  Maybe we need to map everybody?
Hope some others are over here! :)
Why would Margaret’s birth not be recorded when everyone else was so meticulously done?
Regards
Anthea