Author Topic: Dugald MacCallum & Catherine Campbell/Buchanan - Argyll  (Read 11771 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dugald MacCallum & Catherine Campbell/Buchanan - Argyll
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 September 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
This is my guess...
The mother's maiden name was Buchanan but her "married" name was Campbell

The sister in law on the 1901 census, fits the profile of Catherine Campbell born in Lismore 1865, daughter of Donald Campbell and Catherine Buchanan who married in 1860.

The only spanner in the works is that Donald and Catherine also had a younger child called... Mary?

Look at family search for their  children!

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 September 13 18:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree. I'm looking at a family on the 1871 census on Ancestry.com now with a Donald and Catherine Campbell with the children:

Augard 9
Jane 7
Catherine 7
John 4
Mary 1

Is this the same family you found on FamilySearch?

Yes, two daughters called Mary in the same family sounds a bit odd, but, this isn't the first time I've seen it if that should be the case. And, my Mary isn't living with the family at this time, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe she grew up somewhere else?
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 September 13 18:25 BST (UK) »
Very Possible.
That eldest child Augard is actually Dugald Campbell.
Donald, Catherine and daughter Mary Campbell vanish from Scottish census records in !881
A family very much resembling them materialise in British Columbia Canada at 1891?

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 September 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, I noticed that there was an error in the transcript with Dugalds name. Augard sounded more Norwegian to me. It would certainly have been an unusual name in Scotland at least. Easier to track than Dugald ;)

Oh really? Well, maybe they did travel to the US. I'll have to think about upgrading my Ancestry membership if people start moving abroad.

Thank you for your help :)
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 February 14 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I need a second opinion on something..

OK - so, it's been some time since I did research on this side of the family. When I took a break from this family, I struggled to find Mary in the census or anywhere else in the period between her birth and her marriage in 1880. She wasn't listed with her mother and her new family in the census in 1861 and 1871. (For those who hasn't read the whole story - Mary was illegitimate and didn't live with her mother it appears. Her father is nowhere to be found.)

And now - when I opened the birth certificate of the Mary MacCallum (Buchanan at birth), I noticed that the witness that signed is given as John Carmichael - Uncle.

So, I thought I'd look for this John Carmichael in the census, and when I found one possible match from 1861, it turns out that there is one Mary McCallon living with them. His niece. Could this be the Mary I'm looking for? I'm really just asking for a second opinion, since I myself think it's reaching a bit. But it does match up pretty well. This Mary living with the Carmichaels is born in 1856. Mine in 1855. The family is living somewhere called Balenlan, Lismore. Mary's place of birth is given as something that looks like Balevolan, Lismore in her birth certificate.

And then, in 1871 John's wife name is given as Mary Buchanan. (Mary McCallon isn't living with them in 1871.)

Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)